Talk about dumb!!!! you'll get a laugh trust me!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

straitshooter

Reaction score
Ok, so last December I bought a TC Prohunter 209x50. Well it was about a month later that I was able to finally shoot it so I take it to the range pack er up and let the hammer slam down and when I expected a boom there was no boom. Bummer right? So I ask a million questions about the TC and hear about a lot of problems with light strikes on the primer and what not. So I go ahead and do a bunch of modifications to this, to include a x2 oversized hinge pin, heavy duty locking spring, reduced the trigger to 1 1/2 lbs and a 51# hammer spring. So after all this is done I thought for sure it would fire and be deadly accurate to boot. So I get a call tonight from my gunsmith who is doing this work for me and begins to tell me he doesn't think that the primers that I am using are right. I told him that it needed 209 primers and I gave him a pack to use. Now this guy does mostly custom work on high end pieces, glocks and other handguns and not any muzzloading stuff. Anyways, I get to his shop tonight around 9 P.M. cause he is working overtime to help me out and when I go in to look at my TC he wanted to make sure that the primes I gave him were the right ones. Then tells me he was able to get another primer from a shotgun to work in it just fine and then tells me my 209 primers are solid brass and don't look like they cause a spark.... so I look at the box and go figure they were snap caps for dry firing. I felt like such an idiot.... but on the other hand the guy at Bass Pro is going to feel pretty stupid too when I bring them back cause they told me they were the right ones to use, even took them off the hanger for me. Hope ya got a laugh on a newbie!!!! :lol:

Well the main thing is you got the rifle working...

Also you make a good point. Never take for granted what someone behind a sporting goods counter tells you. Many times these people have no experience other then what they over hear actually shooters discuss.

Some of the information I have heard coming out of sales person's mouth should be laughable except for the fact it was dead wrong and worthless many times.

cayuga said:
Well the main thing is you got the rifle working...

Also you make a good point. Never take for granted what someone behind a sporting goods counter tells you. Many times these people have no experience other then what they over hear actually shooters discuss.

Some of the information I have heard coming out of sales person's mouth should be laughable except for the fact it was dead wrong and worthless many times.

Yes , exactly!!! This is what you get when a store owner , be they big or be they small , doesn't think it's worth it to pay a knowledgeable person to work a gun counter. I f you pay someone minimum wage you will get someone with minimum knowledge. ! ! !

Ouch! I hope you enjoy the modifications you made to your gun anyway!

hjbuys said:
Ouch! I hope you enjoy the modifications you made to your gun anyway!

i'm sure i will, i recently got out of the infantry and make mods to all of my guns anyways, so why should this one be any different!

yes at least you got some good modifications for it anyway i had a good laugh thanks for sharing :lol:

the snap no bang

this is funny. but all to true. my 30 + years i can't count the times this has happened. maybe this is a good forum when and how did you screw up lol to me that is the thrill of smoke poles you sight on a big buck and all the miss fires come though your mind and you always have that (is this going to fire) in the back of your mind. so welcome to the crowd of pop no bang. :roll: :shock: :lol:
there are tose who have done this and there are those who are going to lol

Latest posts

Back