home made percussion caps

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayaktrapper

Reaction score
:confused:  :rendeer: there a lot of videos on YouTube on how to make black powder but I have not been able to find any on how to make percussion caps does anybody know how you would do it if there was a hard timeS  Thanks
 :study:

There used to be a tool a company sold where you'd use a pop can and form the shell and then glued in a paper snap cap, they stopped selling them quite a while ago. Tap O Cap is what it was called if I remember correctly. Some said they were not worth a damn, others had good luck. My advice, STOCK UP! Its the percussion locks main weakness once you run out.

The tap o cap works quite well.

As for caps I sometimes use the red toy gun caps if I run out of caps at the wrong time.

Search for "#11 percussion cap maker" Sharp shooter 22 Rifle Reloader markets it to form caps.
Search for "Prime-All" "Repriming Compound" www.22LRreloader.com.
Best of all, No Hazmat charges.

I use a spent large primer with a wire glued to it a a scoop to put the mixed Prime-All in the new home made cap. Have fun.

when I make them I put a few grains of 4FG, BP, under the roll cap. makes a positive ignition.

for plunger type rifles you can use a small rifle primer pushed into a piece of plastic aquarium tubing, then pressed on the nipple. it also helps to keep the action clean, to bad i found that accuracy suffers.

what is a plunger type rifle? I have never heard of one? I am very interested in this method of ignition. could you take the time to show how it works? thank you.

like the knight wolverine inline. i tried to upload some images but it says the files are to large. you take the plastic rubber tubing. about 3/8" long and slide it over the small rifle primer so that the end is exposed, then slide the assembly over a #11 nipple.

I tried the toy cap gun caps that are plastic ring. Cut the individual caps off. They fit tight on #11 nipples, I think they would be water tight. I failed but was loading with Pyrodex. May work with a little 4f boost would work with BP. I'll try it soon.

like the knight wolverine inline. i tried to upload some images but it says the files are to large. you take the plastic rubber tubing. about 3/8" long and slide it over the small rifle primer so that the end is exposed, then slide the assembly over a #11 nipple.
thank you for the explanation that you replied to what is a plunger typo and how to make it.

I tried the toy cap gun caps that are plastic ring. Cut the individual caps off. They fit tight on #11 nipples, I think they would be water tight. I failed but was loading with Pyrodex. May work with a little 4f boost would work with BP. I'll try it soon.
that sounds very interesting. why not try real BP, instead of PYRODEX, witch is junk in BP, guns, and as said straight BLACK might work, thanks for posting the use of plastic caps. I am going to give it a try.

I have tried the plastic "ring" caps, and they do work with real black powder and a kicker charge of 4f in the nipple using a nipple charger. Everyone I tried went boom, but as stated they are a tight fit on the nipple. I am going to file a nipple down so they fit better, but once I do that, #11 caps will not stay on. What the heck, nipples are cheap, and caps are hard to find. I do make my own caps with the 'Tap-a-cap" tool, but the plastic ring caps for toy guns are readily available and cheap.

When our boys were still home, we used to modify the plastic caps by lifting the little piece of white paper out of them with a straight pin or needle - It's not hard to do. That seemed to give more fire into the nipple for better ignition and less clogging up. YMMV.

There used to be a tool a company sold where you'd use a pop can and form the shell and then glued in a paper snap cap, they stopped selling them quite a while ago. Tap O Cap is what it was called if I remember correctly. Some said they were not worth a damn, others had good luck. My advice, STOCK UP! Its the percussion locks main weakness once you run out.
Maybe we need to invent a d-i-y kit for knapping your own gun flints and call it
KNAP O FLINT 😉

Latest posts

Back