fast expansion bullet

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dochunter

Reaction score
hello from canada,

which bullet has the fastest expansion, i am shooting disk extreem .50, i usually go for the neck, i tried dead center last year, good accuracy, but not the best bullet, for the shot i desire, i am going to try Hornady xtp opinion please.

dochunter

Barnes MZ Expanders are good but XTP's require less velocity to open properly. MZ's are very accurate in most ML's I have tried them in (mainly Knights)... XTP's have been hit and miss for me mainly because I tried the 44 cal and did not use the .452 XTP's. I wised up and started using the .452 XTP's (250 and 300gn) and they have been accurate (less than 1.5") in the ML's I have tried them in (haven't tried them in a Knight).

MZ's are much more expensive than XTP's... Another alternative is Speer Gold Dot's. Again get .452 cal in 250gn or 300gn. I have found you can push MZ's faster out of most ML's, I think the longer length gives them greater flight stability when pushed faster.

Lighter Deadcenters(200-220gr), 200gr to 250gr XTPs, 250gr SSTs, 200gr and 250gr Shockwaves, and 250gr Parker Ballistic Extremes are ALL fast expanding bullets. Lighter bullet=higher velocity=faster expansion.

195Barnes.jpg

I have used both XTP's and Barnes...I really like them both. Probably more deer shot with XTP's than any other MZ bullet in history.

They both expand well but the Barnes will hold together better. The Barnes is a superior bullet when shooting through bone, needs a little more velocity to expand, and also requires soft tissue to accomplish the expansion.

Neck shooter aye? I know a couple...never could understand it.

:?

dochunter

Certainly everybody has their favorites and I certainly have mine...

Hard to beat #1) Nosler .451-260 grain Partition HP for whitetail and a Nosler .451-300 grain Partition Protected Point - powered by 100/110 grain of T7-2f in an MMP HPH-24 sabot.

#2) because of price of Noslers.... Speer Gold Dots both .452 - 250 grain deer an/or .452 - 300 grain - with a BC of 232. These are afforable and really do work well. They are a bonded bullet and will not shed the copper as an XTP can do.

OpenGoldDot.jpg

Barnes250ExpanderA.jpg

I have yet to have the pleasure of shooting a deer with a sabot load. Every time I hunt with sabots, I never see anything. I load up a roundball or conical and BINGO.. shooting time.

This Barnes 250 grain Expander is shot out of my Knight. I was shooting 110 grains of Pyrodex RS. This bullet weighed 249.6 grains I believe it was.. 249.something 4 or 6. Anyway, this bullet hit a solid steel bullet trap, expanded and never lost any of its weight. I would sure trust this bullet if I were shooting at neck bones, shoulder bones, or just wanted to blow through the major organ groups. Granted they are expensive, but they do shoot well.

I have similar results with the Spitfire MZ's in 285 grains moving at about 1300 fps. However at even much higher speeds I'd call these penetration bullets.

Africa%20bulletssm.jpg

For expansion you have to go with Power Belts, choose your size...You gotta be careful though, sometimes they won't even make it inside very well.
Here's a 348 copper, moving at about 1550 fps with 110 grains of FFg Pyrodex. It met with a Pronghorn elbow at 125 yards. :shock:

Busted-up%20Powerbelt.jpg

Back