Ajax vs. Windex ?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seewolf

Reaction score
Is there a great difference in Smokepole cleaning between Ajax and Windex?

I can get Windex only over Friends ;-) when they buy one for me in the PX :-(
And this kind of Friends a rare :-0

seewolf said:

I don't know, I've never used either.

seewolf said:

seewolf,

Is your Ajax a window cleaner like Windex? Our Windex is a clear to blue liquid used to spray on glass windows for cleaning. It usually contains ammonia or vinegar.

We have Ajax here, but it is a dry powder (like Borax) that is used for scrubbing. You dont want to use that for sure, it has heavy abrasives in it.

Ajax and Windex are only BRAND names, there are several other brand names with the same ingredients. If you have a bottle of both, read the ingredients on both to compare. I am thinking we have an AJAX BRANDED window cleaner here as well, it is just that WINDEX seems to be the preferred brand.

I don't use it on my smokepoles, but several do. I have tried it on my breech plug, but didn't care for it.

Hope that helps?

If you want a simple swabbing solution, mix 50/50 isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. It will do the same thing.

cayuga said:
If you want a simple swabbing solution, mix 50/50 isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. It will do the same thing.

100% proven cleaning product that cost next to nothing ..thanks to cayuga that is what i use also ...

this cleaning question keeps comming up ,i don't know why we don't STICKY it....

Thanks for the 50/50 isopropyl alcohol/WW fluid tip..

What does the washer fluid add that makes it better than just alcholol?

Brian

The alcohol is of course a drying agent. And it can be used by itself. But if you're shooting powders like Triple Seven for instance, simple water will work also. But Pyrodex and some of the other powders are a different story. The windshield fluid has just enough cleaner in it to remove some of the stubborn stuff, plus it helps cut the cost of pure alcohol. I can get a pint of alcohol for under a buck. I can get a gallon of the windshield cleaner for $1.29. Its just cost effective.

seewolf

I use regular blue Windex, it is an ecellent product for wiping the bore. It has ammonia in it which will help strip the bore metal of fouling and it evaporates really rapidly carring water vapor with it. It does very well disolving and removing T7 residue from the bore.

I am uncertain what/which Ajax product you might be referring to... when we think Ajax over here are first thoughts go to a scouring powder... but I do see they also affer a diswasher soap here...

http://www.colgate.com/app/Colgate/US/H ... /Ajax.cvsp

If you are shooting BH-209 - there is no need of the Windex as you would clean the gun like a regualar rifle, actually a lot of people clean their BP, Pyro, and T7 guns as if they were a CF gun.

Glass-Multi-Surface-Cleaner-1gal-Bottle_141677.jpg

I use Windex with vinegar for swabbing between shots and for cleaning. This is the clear Windex. It really eats BP and BP substitute crud.

black powder said:
cayuga said:

100% proven cleaning product that cost next to nothing ..thanks to cayuga that is what i use also ...

this cleaning question keeps comming up ,i don't know why we don't STICKY it....
This is what i also use and works great for me

UC

Well Shoot! though you would know... I had to go look it up...

http://www.instaoffice.com/ajax-glass-a ... 74.0.7.htm

Formula is great for use on hard washable surfaces. Plus, because the formula is ready-to-use, simply open bottle and get cleaning?no concentration or mixing of solvents necessary. Chemicals/Cleaners Type: Glass; Application: General Purpose; Applicable Material: Glass; Chemical Compound: Ammonia.

It is just another Windex - should work really well

Any blue liquid glass cleaner works fine. You can add the isopropyl alcohol if you like. I've never found it necessary. I've been using Windex and similar liquids for over 20 years.

I use 1quart of windshield washer with a smalle bottle of Gaz line antifreeze.
It work perfect for me.
Taureau noir

Thanks all for the tips !
I got a Bottle Windex Today! and i test it right now.
In Windex is Ammonia and in Ajax Glascleaner too.
I lookt around and Ajax is the only Glascleaner whith Ammonia like Windex :)

Windex is a little more soapy when you rub it beetwen your Fingers.

Latest posts

Back