Home made Black powder lube/ Christmas Brisket

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old and grumpy

Reaction score
We are doing early Christmas for half the tribe. Going to smoke a whole brisket. 14 pounds before trim. Up at 5 am to trim and rub. I have a couple pounds of fat cap to render down for lube. Pics to come. The dog got all the blood that drained out of the bag. Thin flaps of meat will go in chilly. I know lamb fat is best but this will work fine. Gatofeo's # 1--- By weight, 2:2:1, sheep tallow, paraffin, and bees wax respectively

O&G, I use similar, and vary wax amount as to what I'm using if for, and when, (south Alabama summer or Alaska winter) Anyhow, I use bees wax, bear grease, and sweet oil, which is about what gg grand-paw would have used, as I try to use only traditional methods and practices on all my pre 1840 doings. Anyhow, the above mentioned mix works well for me on patches, greased fowler wads, metal surfaces, wood, and waterproofs my moccasins, boots, haversacks, pouches etc. Always keep a small block wrapped up in the haversacks and saddlebags. Works for me, your milage may vary......

I add a few drops of citronella oil to 1 specific container of lube durong the warm pour when I make lube. I use it when the skeeters and other bugs are out in full force in the evenings or when I know I'll be near still water like target shooting near a lake.... since I wipe my fingers on my clothes anyways, lol

ALSO, the firing of the BP firearm puts some of the citronella it in the air (real fast!) to boot. Just like a bug slow-wick or candle does.

P.S.- I heard adding white sage oil to the lube deters skinwalkers, Sasquatch and chupacabras as well. Adding banana oil draws too many monkeys though. I stopped experimenting after that last disaster!

At last a use for all those new age oils! When using filler in Cap&Ball revolvers or Black powder cartridges most use corn meal or grits. I had one of those "gift" bags of coffee. Tastes bad but used as filler smells good.

So if I add some garlic oil and cast silver minie .58 for the Enfield it should stop vampires and werewolf? ---- Some years back Hoppies changed the #9. Took out the banana oil. Don't smell quite the same. I found a bottle of 50 year old #9. Like a time machine ! Like fine aged wine.

1. At last a use for all those new age oils! When using filler in Cap&Ball revolvers or Black powder cartridges most use corn meal or grits. I had one of those "gift" bags of coffee. Tastes bad but used as filler smells good.
    Corn meal, grits, coffee... ? "Honestly judge, my intent was not to kell em'. My intent was just to serve em' a high velocity breakfast! He hasn't even complained about the aweful coffee."😁

Latest posts

Back