Ruger No. 1 SMI .50 cal - Ready to Shoot!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmedicine

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to extend a big THANKS to all of you for your help in learning more about smokeless muzzleloading. After much deliberation and much research, I went ahead and sent my Ruger to SMI for conversion over to smokeless.

As a small amount of background, I have had this rifle for many years and really, really enjoyed hunting with it - problem is, there is not much use in Central Indiana for a .300 Weatherby Magnum. This aided my decision to spend what I felt was a reasonable amount of money to convert a gun I liked over to something I could use every year hunting here at home.

Now that I have it back, here is what it looks like:
IMG_2371.jpg

As you can see, it has the fluted 28" barrel. I also added a Simms Limbsaver pad to it and went with glass that I am just used to shooting - a Leupold Vari-x II. As a side note, if anyone has a Leupold scope that is already threaded, the flip-up Alumina caps are wonderful!

For those of you wondering what the breech setup looks like, here are some shots of the breech end as well as the breech plug:
IMG_2393.jpg
IMG_2381.jpg

Finally, Ron sends along a breech plug remover, take-down ram rod, and a little primer gadget (no, the brown dog did not come in the package - he just guards the stuff from my Dad).
IMG_2396.jpg

I have a variety of material to go and shoot, but I have tried to take advantage of the learnings of others - nothing exotic, just known commonities such as the Barnes - X, some barnes spit-fires, and some XTPs. I figure that I will at least get an idea about how the gun will shoot.

Initial impressions
Just to echo the opinions of others, Ron Name really puts together a classy product. I have been around the machining/tool and die business my whole life and feel quite strongly that the mechanical work is outstanding. The gun (wood/receiver) is in as good as shape as when I sent it and despite the re-work required, there are no stray marks on any of the screws, metal finish, or wood. That doesn't seem like that big of a deal to some, but it is much appreciated by me. The overall balance of the gun is not drastically different than before and really appears to be ready shoot.

If anyone is interested in an alternative to the Savage, you just may want to give the SMI idea some thought. They are very nice and took the time to answer every single question that I had about the system. If I had not already owned this Ruger, I probably would have been hunting with a Savage this fall. For me, this just was the way to go. I don't care to argue any of the SMI/Savage pros/cons as I personally don't have a PhD in locktime or other hot topics. Now that I have an SMI, I must admit that I will likely have one built for my sons once the hunting bug bites them. I just know that there is NOTHING better to a hunter than to have something new before hunting season. The fact that I get to keep some of the pre-SMI nostalgia attached to this rifle is just a boost.

Good luck to everyone with their smokeless muzzleloading. I will post results of my upcoming visits to the range.

I am jealous, I have always like the #1 and the feel of it in a muzzleloader would be perfect in my opinion. Nice rifle!

Not to sidetrack your post, but Cool dog too, I used to have one that looked exactly like that name "George", lazy beast he was until some unknown would come up the drive, he could sure put the fear to some.

Remi said:
I am jealous, I have always like the #1 and the feel of it in a muzzleloader would be perfect in my opinion. Nice rifle!

Not to sidetrack your post, but Cool dog too, I used to have one that looked exactly like that name "George", lazy beast he was until some unknown would come up the drive, he could sure put the fear to some.

Remi,
Thanks for the comments. Tobey is an outstanding dog that hasn't needed much training as far as hunting goes. As far as disposition goes, well, he is about as mellow as the picture. Both my children leaned to count by opening his mouth and counting his teeth.

Spend some time looking around for used No. 1's. I have seen some great bargains on guns that people purchased and did not like/use for whatever reason. I will be interested to see how this improved breech plug design works. Ron is always improving his designs and has very, very high standards.

Stu

Beautiful gun, if it shoots half as good as it looks it will be a tack driver! I am waiting on my SMI Encore conversion to be built. I was in the same boat where I had a gun I loved yet wanted to be able to shoot smokeless. I look forward to your range reports. Happy shooting!

Looking at the breech it looks pretty rough... is that just a fluke in the photo or is it the rough?

I think it is a beautiful rifle. One anyone would be proud to own, congrats on your fine taste in rifles. I am very interested in how well it shoots for you. I was thinkin someday I may go with an SMI on a NEF action, something relatively inexpensive, and light for those days when I feel lazy. Maybe shoot a real light load with N110 and a 200 sst or 250 xtp.
Anyway sorry to stray, it really is a very nice rifle and I hope it exceeds your expectations.

That's a great lookin rifle.

What do you think of the breech plug design?

If I ever decide to go with a SMI gun it would be on the No. 1 frame. Great looking "classic" rifle. Best of luck with it.

Breech Comments

Thanks for all the feedback everyone has given. I gave the breeck area (and breech plug) a good cleaning - It is much better than in the pick. I was simply in a rush to get pics posted and didn't do anything to the rifle. I probably did SMI an injustice.

I am pretty impressed with the breech plug - I wish I had experience shooting it more, but have only had 1 afternoon to work with it. I plan on running away from my house this weekend and doing some serious work. Load development is something I truly enjoy - probably the real reason I went smokeless in the first place.

I will say this about some of the work on the rifle - the entire operation performed by SMI is standard (and by that I mean GOOD) machining and everything is built like a tank. I cannot find a single area that is not fit perfectly or that has any obvious burrs.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back