Gradual but predictable progression of rangefinders....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Anyone have one of the original Lytespeed 400 Bushnell rangefinders? If COURSE I do! The date on it say manufactured 11/95...Here in Athens, AL, that's about 10 years ago! :D To say this thing has served me well is an understatement! Completely problem free, it has been everywhere and hasn't stumbled once! Zero to 400yds it will still give you the range every time! The problem with it is...it's BIG...about the size of average 8X40 binoculars. It takes up a lot of room in your pack EXPECIALLY when you have binoculars TOO, which I always DO! Not to mention when you have two contraptions around your neck dangling all day long! It gets old! Sooo....

Three years ago I bough a Nikon Realtree Lazer 400. Talk about SMALL! Very LITTLE larger than a pack of cigarettes! Lightweight too, and it is easy to tell it from your binoculars! It will even fit in a shirt pocket. It has served me well, working perfectly too! Optics aren't the best but I bought this to compliment my binoculars, not take the place of them.

When I went to Texas this past year, I started to get the itch. No, not poison sumac, jock itch, or poison ivy! You know...that BAD itch that doesn't go away until you spend some cash! Actually, again with my Nikon 400 AND my Swarovski binoculars dangling around my neck I was thinking about the Leica Geovid 10X42s. IF they are as good as they say, they might take take place of both my rangefinder AND my binoculars!

Well...A little over a week ago I scratched that itch! The 10X42 Geovids arrived to Athens, AL. INITIAL comparison between the Swarovskis AND the Geovids indicates they are close, if not equal to the binoculars. Okay, so it was only a couple of hours but, initially they look pretty good. Harry and I looked thru both and he thought the Swarovski binos had a VERY slight edge and I thought the Geovids had a VERY slight edge. Anyway...thought I give everyone a heads up and of course MUCH more comparing to follow!

2006huntingpics%20259.jpg

2006huntingpics%20260.jpg

I KNEW it wouldn't be long until a new pair of Leica's arrived in Athens! :lol:

Like I mentioned earlier, I have the Ultravids, but I spent some time with the Geovids, and I was very, VERY impressed by them (all but the size). I think my Ultravids are the best piece of glass made...perior. However...

Now I want a laser rangefinder. Damn.

I told you, you wouldnt be disapointed. Now if it were only about 8 oz lighter it would be perfect. Glad you liked them. :shock:

Back