Saturday morning @ the Farm

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sabotloader

Keep Shooting Muzzleloaders - They are a Blast
Supporting member
Reaction score
I got one of those feeling this is going to get really long... Terry hates it when I try to write something - I can not be brief - so bare with me.

Went to the farm with a few different thoughts in mind...
1. I wanted to test two different vent liners in a modified Knight FPJ breech plug.
2. I want to get some chrono times to verifly a finding discovered by Grouse.
3. I wanted to shoot the used/new Knight DISC Elite that i got on Wednesday.
4. I added an extra step at the end and decided that I wanted to shoot some long distant shots... it turned out to be 240 yards.
5. Verifiy that this Cabelas 3x10x40 Powder Horn scope might be as good as I thought.

When I got to the farm and got everything set - it was great... great temperature and little wind. That would change in the next 15 minutes to a very vigorous swirling wind at the silos and blowing straight down the draw....

I decided to start shooting with some Hornady 250 grain FTX bullets - needed to use them for something because I would never use them for hunting.

I had installed a Lehigh Extended Vent Liner, used to get what is called 'center ignition'. This is a prototype liner that Lehigh Dave wanted to try, and I actually thought it might reduce blow-bac into the Knight bolt. It did not stop the blow back and after thinking about it - I can totally understand why. It also produced a reduced velocity as it leaked pressure back.

After, contemplateing the small problem(s) mentioned above - I had a bigger problem! Both FTX shots - tumbled @ 50 yards... (See Group #1 two shots) My first thoughts.. shoot this barrel is shot!!!(remember it is a new to me used gun). Decided to move from the FTX's to a known good bullet - grabbed a box of Speer 250 grain Gold Dots. Considering the wind - I considered Group #2 somewhat a success. The Gold Dots did fit a little tighter going down the bore also - got a little extra velocity.

I then made some adjustements. I pulled the breech plug took the extend vent liner out and installed the domed Lehigh vent liner GOOD move on my part. It was a ton cleaner and velocities moved back up where I thought they should be with a 250 grain bullet and 100 grains of T7. I also made a scope adjustment loaded up the Gold Dot again - took a three shots - made a final adjustment and shot 4 and 5. (See Group #3).

Then I decided to make another bullet switch to a .458/300 grain Sierra. I had decided this gun will become and elk gun so I wanted to shoot some 45-70 type rifle bullets from it. I also upped the powder up to 120 grains... (Group #4)

Group #5 - this is the bullet that will be shot from this gun for elk season at some point in the future. The Lehigh .458/275 grain bullet broke the paper great.

9-26KNDElite50Target.jpg

If you would want to read more about my converted FPJ plug. Look at this thread.

http://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB ... hp?t=13872

And if you are interested the domed Lehigh plug did cut back on blow bac significantly. I still had soot in the breech area but it was from shooting the FPJ with VERY used red plastic jackets. Nothing was deposited on the scope after the shooting - It was good - really good....

The NFPJ conversion is much cleaner yet - still not perfect but very little fouling soot and no blow bac.

At this point I thought I had accomplished my goals... but I could not resist the urge to shoot something long with the Lehighs...

I looked around in the wheat stubble and found a 'green' clump of something near the top of the ridge... Decided I was going to take the shot(s) Remember I had sighted this gun in at 50 yds and had not verified it 100 or any other distance.

This first pic is take from the clump of Thistle looking back a the shooting area...

Shot #1 - I held directly on the target with the apeture. The shot appeared to be on line but low.

Shot #2 - Held on the first line under the main Xhair. Again on line but not as low.

Shot #3 - Held on second line under main Xhair - one again on line but this time just a bit high....

Here is a picture looking back from the green clump (thistle) to the truck...

240yardLookBack.jpg

The next picture shows the gound contacts of the bullets... DON'T laugh - they were the only thing I had to mark the points with - the next picture is even more weird. Each shoe marks a contact point and above the green clump on the right is my range finder....

3Hitsbest.jpg

When you look at form this angle it is a bit deceptive because of the ground slope.

This picture shows more about the shots....

Elevation-1.jpg

Now then... I stood the shoes up so you could see the elevation difference already knowing everything is right... but shot #1 held right on the green clump is about 12" low. Shot #2 using the 2nd elevation line is about 6" low and Shot #3 which you can not see is about 4" high... either way or anyway with a little practice and knowing the gun and projectile - it can be done...

OK - I'll quit - but it was fun this morning even in the lousy wind...

Nice report. How come you did not use the 1X used FPJs that I sent you for the test? Are you saving them for a special occassion? ShawnT is not going to be happy seeing how that gun shoots. He was having a terrible time with that gun last Summer getting it to shoot as we swapped a few PMs about it. Good Luck with that gun on Elk .

jsteurrys

OK - I admit it I am cheap! just can not throw them away when they still work...

But, really had I use new plastic the amount of residue in the breech/bolt would have been a lot less...

When I made the switch to the domed vent liner - I did not get the heavy blow-bac form the barrel at all, which I am grateful for because I forgot the bra for the scope.

Still got somemore work to do with the gun but I think it is a shooter - hopefully I will get a chance next week to shoot it more....

Good shooting.
Those vent liners show an improvement in blow back and extreme range accuracy for me also. It is not obvious at 100yds but is pronounced at 200 yds. Lee

Lee 9

vent liners show an improvement in blow back and extreme range accuracy for me also. It is not obvious at 100yds but is pronounced at 200 yds.

That is good to know - thanks for the information.... I really want to get back out and do some more shooting just not sure when. Our rifle season start 10/10 and shooting time is very limited then - cause I am hunting

SABOTLOADER,I hope you get some shooting time in while your hunting 8) ...what gun+load will you be using? karl

k

Well, Karl, I have made this decision several times now... but I think I am going the first couple of weeks with the 45 cal Extreme - 110 grains of T7-2f, Havester light tan sabot and a 200 grain Lehigh....

That's for deer season, the first deer season - that is when I am looking for one of 'Spitpatches' Magilla's - except our whitetail Magilla's are nothing like those Iowa ones - can not believe they are in the same family.

I am locked out of rifle elk season until our ML season in December, then I will switch to a TC Renegade with a stainless GM-LRH barrel and open sights. Got a special load of heavy load for that season, a .503/460 grain Bull Shop sitting on .510x125 shot card and 90 grains of T7-3f... oh ya! we have to use a cap during that season, amoung other things so it will be a Dynamint Noble 1075+.

After that my doe tag kicks in and I am thinking the Triumph...

But, if the wind blows just right - I might change my mind again and then everyonce in awhile you might need to change guns to change your luck...

But, you can bet I will be out there with something...

I just had to bust you on being cheap. I am a Dutchman which are known to be as tight as bark on a tree. I think I seen a moth leave my wallet once when I opened it.

jsteurrys

Ya! you are not the first that has mentioned about me to frugal - but only on some things.... Terry really wishes that all this ML stuff would just go away and I would spend more time in the yard talking to the grass or her flowers....

But really, ya just can't toss them they still work... i have even looked at re-using some of the sabots - but I have drawn the line there....

jsteurrys,

You are right. I am envious of the way Saboloader is shooting that elite, and in only one day at that!. :shock: I figured that would happen though. I never did get the second stock to fit me well. So it just goes to show you that if it don't fit you, you probably will not get it to shoot the way you want. I did have it shoot 2 in a hole and one flyer, problem was that most of the time I never knew which shot was going to be the flyer and I finally just figured that it had a lot to do with the way my head sits on the stock to the scope. I never got the groups he already has. Oh well that is the way it goes.

ShawnT

A fellow forum member on another site asked if I was sure the 250 FTX tumbled.... At the time I was but after thinking about it I really never went and looked... so after his question and went out to the truck and looked at the target board.

spaniel
Are you sure they were actually tumbling, and didn't just tear the paper away between the two hits?

When I first read the question as posed in your post - I gotta say: ->look at the paper it ripped it sideways. Then I thought you know you really never went and looked - you just looked at through the scope. Then after the second shot it was bigger and I was more convinced.

But, I thought what the heck - so I went out to the truck and looked at the target board. It is really to bad that there were other shots right in that area, but still it is pretty obvious your assesment is correct.

FTX.jpg

So I wanted to correct the FTX statement- but I still do not like them for hunting, them not even the SST or SW.... how is that for being stubborn? Well maybe if I were antelope hunting or hunting really long distant shots.

sabotloader said:
....................................................So I wanted to correct the FTX statement- but I still do not like them for hunting, them not even the SST or SW.... how is that for being stubborn? Well maybe if I were antelope hunting or hunting really long distant shots.

A pronghorn that isn't hit in a good spot can go and go and go and go. I wouldn't use them bullet for any kinda hunting, except maybe for 'peeper' or prairie dog or some such thing.

For really long range i would lean to the Barnes TEZ. The TEZ is as pretty as them other bullet, but it is also mean.

Great shooting sabotloader! You are in the wide-open-spaces there. Very pretty. Where I live in Alabama it's wooded and you have to try hard to see 100 yards. Great report!

Latest posts

Back