Suggestions for a long relief low power scope

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GM54-120

Administrator
Staff member
ADMIN
Global Moderator
Supporting member
Reaction score
Im looking for a base and rings for my Green Mountain 54. Its based on the Disc Extreme.

I want a 1.5x4 or fixed power with about 5" or more of relief that would fit on a compatible base. The smaller/lighter the better since it will only be used for close range use.

Sofar the only option ive found that might work is a Truglo compact 4x. Its cheap and camo but im not sure how long it will handle the recoil.

Suggestions on bases is a big plus too. I do have some steel 2 piece bases for the MK85. Either Warne or Weaver steels...im not sure.

My 3X9X40 Omega scope has 5 inches of eye relief and I love it! Ive been hit before with other scopes but never this one. I know they sell other Nikon scopes similar to the Omega but I am not sure on the eye relief. I hunt with mine on 3X if I think its gonna be a close shot, then crank it up for longer ones. Its a shorter scope than others I have owned and I like knowing I have the 9X if I need it.

for long eye relief, i think that the omega is the way to go. I have mounted mine on a disc extreme and it fits nicely. right now its on a T/C triumph. great optics quality and you dont have to work about it contacting your face on a hard-kicking rifle.

Do you know if the old MK85 bases will fit the Disc Extreme series. I have a set of those since they also fit my Ovation.

They are nice solid steel 2 piece bases.

You can get a nikon omega in 1.65 - 5 x 36 mm. Five inches of eye relief. Not certain that it is a 1 inch tube. In stock online at Cabela's.

Not really a recommendation, just a hint as to what is out there.

Cabelas' Item number: 9IS-712568
POWER: 1.65-5X36 MT BDC

Mk-85 bases will not fit the extreme the MK-85s are weaver # 61 and the extreme is # 45 weaver.I have used a bushnell banner scope they have a 6 " eye relief bushnell P/N 711436 I have had this scope on for a year now still seems to work fine.They are just a bit over $ 100.00 Night

Night said:
Mk-85 bases will not fit the extreme the MK-85s are weaver # 61 and the extreme is # 45 weaver.I have used a bushnell banner scope they have a 6 " eye relief bushnell P/N 711436 I have had this scope on for a year now still seems to work fine.They are just a bit over $ 100.00 Night

Thank you, that is the combo i was thinking about for a less expensive option.

Ooops

I just got home and checked. They are not steel, they are the RedHead Z2 alloy for Knight In-lines. It does not say which inlines but they are rounded and not flat on the bottom.

BP no longer has them so im going to just see if they fit.

Hey, I e-mailed Toby Bridges about your "Brush Rifle" you recommended to me. He said...
I used a set of Redfield bases and rings to mount the scope on my .54 Green Mountain "Brush Rifle"...and I'm shooting 110-grains of Blackhorn 209 behind a hefty
400-grain saboted "Hard Cast" lead bullet (Harvester Muzzleloading). At 100 yards, the rig and load prints at 1- to 1 1/4-inches.

Back