The Elite 45 continues to amaze me

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
santoslhalper

I love 45s and for most of my hunting its plenty. Using a big pointy PR Ultimate 360gr conical its pretty close to most 50s and probably a bit better trajectory. Im hoping i can get these to shoot well with 100grs. I only used 80gr last time.

The Lehighs are a fine bullet IMO. They can be a bit of work to get the best accuracy with milder charges so be prepared to push them hard if needed.

My best 200yard group is with the 185gr DOA and my Acurra 45 with (i think) 105gr of BH209. The 200s require even a bit more if you are trying to get sub MOA but arent bad if you just need "minute of deer" quality.

Im trying the Harvester 45x40 Crushribs next with the Lehighs. I like them mainly because they fit mine well and seem to handle charges over 105gr better.

Try the GoldDots first if you can find them. :D. They perform much better than the XTPs on my testing media. Harvester also sells a fairly cheap ($19/50) 200gr copper plated HP made for them by Rainier. Ive only shot a few of them but so far they seem ok but nothing to brag about.

.45 knight

GM-120
Should you choose to. The barns 175 and the barns 195 can be cranked up to 120 of BH 209 grains with no loss of accuracy. You may have tried it already with the barns. I was impressed. I use a lot of glass 4.5 to 14 burris ballistic plex to really wring the load out.I loved it. I believe the new Lehigh you are useing will improve consistancy even more . I need to get my order in for one.
Nice shootin by the way and thanks for the report
Wayles

choc-dog said:
That is one fine barrel....just a priceless tube of steel.

Chocdog

Thank you.

This is a testament to the rifle and Lehigh NFPJ conversion, not my skills other than the load development.

I used the bore polish and have been using the ME conditioner after every cleaning. Ive only used the bore polish once and copper cream once. IMO they have made a noticeable difference.

I was going to have a target quality crown cut but now im not touching it.

I only paid about $375 NEW total including: Lehigh NFPJ GenII, new Swift Premier 2x7x40 with steel QR rings/bases (not currently installed). I got the rifle NEW without box at BassPro for $149. :D

Now its all setup just the way i like except i still need to install the QR bases and rings.

Re: .45 knight

wayles said:
GM-120
Should you choose to. The barns 175 and the barns 195 can be cranked up to 120 of BH 209 grains with no loss of accuracy. You may have tried it already with the barns. I was impressed. I use a lot of glass 4.5 to 14 burris ballistic plex to really wring the load out.I loved it. I believe the new Lehigh you are useing will improve consistancy even more . I need to get my order in for one.
Nice shootin by the way and thanks for the report
Wayles

My other 45 is "over scoped" too but i love it. The 4x16 really makes a difference after 100 yards. The cheap CenterPoint scope has held up very well and i can adjust the focus too.

Its my "Bean Field" setup. :D

I didnt want to over scope the Elite and i love the Swift scope sofar. Its bright and has a huge FOV at 100 yards on 2 power. One of the best 100yard FOV on the market. Last year poor FOV cost me a shot while walking to my stand.

You want to try something fun with a Barnes? Try the 10mm 155gr TAC-XP with about 100gr or a bit more. They rocket out at 2300fps+ and are deadly accurate. The retain 140gr even if all the petals shear off and IMO would be ok on deer upto about 120yards if you want 800FPE+ at impact.

The 175gr is a pointy Barnes, im not sure if the 195gr is or not but i prefer the Expander MZ types better for most hunting. Ive seen the pointy ones fail to expand properly too often. Im not done playing with these 175s yet. :D And the 120gr charge is on the list of "must try". :yeah:

Uploaded a few expansion results pics from the Knight sisters i was going to post them but its a few so here is the link.

Checkout the 2 of the Rem 50S&W 385gr CLHPs. Its a beast in the GMB54.

http://s39.photobucket.com/albums/e151/ ... 20results/

The Meister .401 260gr RNFP cast didnt do too bad and had massive penetration too.

I think i added a descriptions for all of them and most went through something like this for the tests.
BulletTrapSide.jpg

I had to make a few variations in thickness to stop a few of them. :D

GM54-120 said:
Have decided the .45 Elite with the Lehigh b/p will be my deer rifle this year. Don't know if I trust those T7 primers with BH209 in the cold weather... will probably stay with the W209's or Fed 209A's.

I wont either but since i know in 50-60F weather they are 100% then a Win209 should do nicely in lower temps.

Im sure a 180gr XTP will kill a deer with good shot placement but i would prefer a GoldDot if i can find them or a 200gr XTP/SST.

Next year i will probably use one of the Ultimate conicals or the PB Plat 300gr unless im scoping a large field.

Great shooting Scott! Yep, 180 10mm XTP will kill deer and hogs. I have taken over a dozen deer with this bullet and probably that many hogs. Put it right behind the shoulder and it's all but bang, flop !

180 grainer

180 10mm XTP will kill deer
Do they not make that in 200 grain as well? I can't find them in 200 grain. It was my most accurate best killer on deer. xtp or xtp/mag as I pushed them over 110 grains of BH209 and a 50/40 CR sabot. Where are they?

Re: 180 grainer

Bucker said:
180 10mm XTP will kill deer
Do they not make that in 200 grain as well? I can't find them in 200 grain. It was my most accurate best killer on deer. xtp or xtp/mag as I pushed them over 110 grains of BH209 and a 50/40 CR sabot. Where are they?

They are back ordered everywhere ive looked but Cabelas says they can get them so im waiting 2-3 weeks on my order.

I havent been able to get them for about a year or any 200gr 40s....except the SST 40-200 for a premium price or plated RNFPs. I would rather buy Hawks 200gr bullets than pay a premium for SSTs.

They have 40s in about any weight you can imagine using in a ML.

SABOTMAKER said:
GM54-120 said:
Have decided the .45 Elite with the Lehigh b/p will be my deer rifle this year. Don't know if I trust those T7 primers with BH209 in the cold weather... will probably stay with the W209's or Fed 209A's.

I wont either but since i know in 50-60F weather they are 100% then a Win209 should do nicely in lower temps.

Im sure a 180gr XTP will kill a deer with good shot placement but i would prefer a GoldDot if i can find them or a 200gr XTP/SST.

Next year i will probably use one of the Ultimate conicals or the PB Plat 300gr unless im scoping a large field.

Great shooting Scott! Yep, 180 10mm XTP will kill deer and hogs. I have taken over a dozen deer with this bullet and probably that many hogs. Put it right behind the shoulder and it's all but bang, flop !

Thank you Del but it is on a sled and offhand im not nearly as good but IM sub 2 MOA and that i am proud of accomplishing. This was a testament to the Elite and the Lehigh NFPJ which i feel helped keep standard fps deviations to a minimum with the WinT7s.

Latest posts

Back