My modified Savage Breech plugs are back.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grouse

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
Supporting member
Reaction score
94524286.jpg

As you can see in the picture, the one on the left has the vent liner in it. The one on the right does not. This design is suppost to elimate the carbon build up in the plug. And also greatly increase vent liner life. The hole is drilled out to 0.377 and about 0.850 deep with an 82 degree countersink for the vent liner. I am very excited about this new plug. Thanks for all the help Edge. :wink:

Do you happen to have a picture of an unmodified plug I can compare it against? I don't have a savage so I don't know what the plug really looks like.

I don't have a picture, but this sketch might help:

TOP is what is shown in Grouses picture, Bottom is a standard Savage Plug.

BREECHPLUG_Modified.jpg

BreechplugDimensions.jpg

Sorry for the picture size difference.

edge.

Added:

It turns out that I do have a picture. The one on the right is a standard Savage plug.

NewBreechplug.jpg

All I can say is that thing looks SUPER! Edge/Grouse...ya'll are making be DROOL! 8)

smokeeter said:
I believe ventliner life is extended and carbon build up is reduced
Then why didn't Savage build the breechplug like this in the first place? :?

elkstalkr said:
I gotta ask cuz I don't know.

Whats the advantage here?

Know more drilling out plugs and changing vent-liners. It's well worth the money. Steve White and Edge, have alot of great things to say about it. I have not tested mine yet. 96 degrees in the shade here. :)

Grouse when the temp. drops alittle [below 100] I hope you have time to test your modified plugs. I'm very interested to see your results.

Question:

Is the hollowed out portion of the breechplug .50cal or larger?

Grouse

Is there a reason or advantage to this style verses the bushing style?

Some clarification.

In the picture with the 2 breechplugs, the one on the right is a standard Savage plug. The one on the left is for a custom 45 Savage that I built. That rifle has no barrel nut, that is why it can be so short, and it does NOT work in a standard Savage.

My theories behind the modified plug that Grouse is using are:

1) better ignition since the powder is closer to the primer;

2) longer vent liner life since the volume behind the vent liner is smaller;

3) longer vent liner life since the area behind the vent liner fills with carbon faster, decreasing the volume & some carbon is deposited inside of the vent liner from the primer which needs to be worn off by the combustion gasses before the steel is eroded;

4) slight increase in velocity due to an effective increase in the barrel length.

My original was adding a steel drill bushing into my Savage breechplug as shown here ( RED is the drill bushing White is carbon crud ):

BREECHPLUG.jpg

I used this for about 350 shots of very high doses of Lil'Gun and I actually had to clean the carbon from the inside of the bushing because the ID was getting smaller which reduced velocity. I then sent this to another shooter who used it for several hundred more shots. I eventually removed the bushing to test the design that Grouse is using since I felt that a standard vent liner may work too.

edge.

That is cool Tom, how much powder can fit inside the plug now?? Any ideas? Will you have dead air space from the powder charge to the sabot??

Seems as if it could be a bit stronger than the standard configuration... Is the powder burn initiated IN the action now instead of in front of the barrel ring?

Edge, can you shed some light?

Tx-

Doohan

There is no dead space, except between the primer and the vent liner since the powder fills the extended "chamber" area.

There is a risk in using a VERY light load that the powder would not fill this area since the sabot will not go inside this space.

It takes about 23 grains of N110 to fill this space and anything more would not present this as a problem.

edge.

Nic_58 said:
smokeeter said:
I believe ventliner life is extended and carbon build up is reduced
Then why didn't Savage build the breechplug like this in the first place? :?

Savage has a winning combo that is sufficient for the majority of 10ML users. For NUTS like us who shoot ALOT, the current plug design is a real PAIN.

I don't see Savage changing anything with the 10ml, while changes may make the system "better", I doubt they would sell more because of a few more creature comforts.

edge said:
There is no dead space, except between the primer and the vent liner since the powder fills the extended "chamber" area.

There is a risk in using a VERY light load that the powder would not fill this area since the sabot will not go inside this space.

It takes about 23 grains of N110 to fill this space and anything more would not present this as a problem.

edge.

Thank! That's EXACTLY what I was wanting to know!

I put 50 shots thru one of these plugs today. I must say i like it very well. I like the powder being closer to the primer. You also only have a short distance of carbon build up. I will be hunting with it for sure. 8)

Back