spit patches

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viking421a

Reaction score
Does this mean litterally spitting on a patch and running it down the barrel? :?

If so why wouldn't you use solvent?

How often is this done?

Please bare with me as I try to learn all I can. Hope noone is tired of my DUMB questions yet :D

viking421a said:
Does this mean litterally spitting on a patch and running it down the barrel? :?

How often is this done?

Please bare with me as I try to learn all I can. Hope noone is tired of my DUMB questions yet :D

There are no Dumb questions. Spitting on the patch after every shot is about the norm with 777 powder. I myself use T/C presoaked NO.13 cleaning patches. Try both way's and see what's best for you. :)

viking421a said:

How often is this done?

Spit patching is just a phrase. You can use solvent patches and I do. One damp patch between shots is all that's needed however I usually follow with a dry patch. It's essential for Triple Seven use with sabots and helpful for Pyrodex use as well.

Spit patching is a term generated from the old days while shooting more or less traditional firearms, while modern solvents weren't readily available. One might still use a spit patch when nothing else is available. Spit patching is just basically wetting a patch to help loosen up, and somewhat clean out the fouling before loading the next round, making the process easier.

viking421a, i read in other Thread that u use 777 in ur omega. I found that a wetted patch with windex to work very well with the 777 at range for cleaning between shots when needed. Water works fine also but for me windex was a tad better. For goex and other black powder the TC 13 Bore Cleaner is my favorite at the range for wetting patches.

With my 10 ML-II shooting sabots...i use the CVA Sabot Solvent with excellent results.

I like to run a wet patch then couple dry patches between shots for best result. Thats what works for me...you may xperience different. Its take a little time and a few patches but i seem to get the most consistent groups.

I lick the patch on one side and run it down the barrel. Then turn the patch over and run it down again ..

I find solvent to work too well for me. I like to leave some crud in the barrel.

The key is to find a stroke or ritual that works for you... then do the same thing every time!

viking421a said:

How often is this done?

1) Yes.

2) Spit is handier, harder to forget, and it is hard to run out of it.

3) Between every shot with a saboted bullet and T7 or Pyrodex.

Racklover said:
What if you have some Skoal action going at the time???

Rifleman can help you with that one. The accomplished Skoal user can eat pie, lick a patch, and shoot excellent groups with flair and effortlessness.

Rifleman is one of those masterful snuffists of which many sing about around campfires to this very day.

Back