Primers

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbuff

Reaction score
How would you all rate primers from top to bottoem...Say top 1-5..

I am useing W209 and have had good luck with them,I tried T7primers and didn't like them at all..That was when they first came out...

1-W209
2-CCI 209
3-T/C 209
4-Reminton clean bore 209
5-T7 209

my favorite right now in my cva accura are the cci inline MZL 209 primers. They've gotten rid of the crud in my bore and still maintain excellent accuracy. They even shrunk my groups without having to swab.

Win209's are a little more accurate in my Omega with BH209 than Fed209's, though the Fed's are a little cleaner.

Win777 primers were my favorite when I shot 777 pellets.

Those are the only three primers I have ever fooled with.

All the reloading primers have worked well for me, The Winchester sealed the best. The only one that ever gave me misfires and problems was the 777 primers and they cost twice as much.

I have only used Win 209 and Kleenbore. The Kleenbore's I only fired 5 or 6 and one caused a hangfire and one misfired completely.

I've been using the W209's for about 8 years or so. They've always worked without fail so I've never used any other primers. Probably have put somewhere between 400-500 shots thru my CVA in that time and never had a hangfire or misfire.

If you are asking for MY top 5 pick in order? This would be for shooting Blackhorn 209 powder, the order would be different for other powders. The first two are the only ones I would stake a hunt on. I personally think the Federal 209A is slightly hotter, but I get a little better accuracy with the CCI 209M and some loads.

1. Federal 209A
2. CCI 209M
3. Remington Premier STS
4. Winchester W209
5. CCI

Busta said:
If you are asking for MY top 5 pick in order? This would be for shooting Blackhorn 209 powder, the order would be different for other powders. The first two are the only ones I would stake a hunt on. I personally think the Federal 209A is slightly hotter, but I get a little better accuracy with the CCI 209M and some loads.

1. Federal 209A
2. CCI 209M
3. Remington Premier STS
4. Winchester W209
5. CCI

+1. That's the order I would put them in also. But all I shoot is Blackhorn.

Back