Here's one that I passed on .....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buck Conner1

Reaction score
SUBJECT: Here's one that I passed on .....

I know, "what's wrong with you???" This guy was so amazing and still hanging around after me bouncing a ramrod off his one horn. The year before 1990, "1989 Muzzle Loading Season - Colorado", this guy shows up at my place. Probably chased out of Estes Park (Roosevelt National Park). That's where the good mule deer hide during hunting season.

We are hunting on the back side of our 300 acres next to the neighbors 10,000 acres (all private) and this guy pops up (he's so big I though he was closer than he was). My friends I always hunt together here, they are watching to see what happens from a distance. I peek around a large moss rock and there he is. I put the sights on his neck (easy shot). Boy was that a wrong thing to think. !@#$%^ I'm using my favorite GRRW Leman Trade Rifle (.58 cal. that really groups). I touch one off and you guessed it he's further away than I thought - see the round hit the ground in front of him.

I'm on a slope going down hill, my friends are yelling at me to reload which I'm doing. They are yelling "he's coming straight at you" crap I'm loading as fast as I can. Pull the rifle to my shoulder and there he is - in my face, scared the you know what out of me, probably him too. I am shaking now, put the sights on his nose and fire. About get knocked on my butt as the ramrod fly's out the muzzle and bounces off this guys horn. He's gone in a second and I'm shocked that I did such a dumb thing as shooting my ramrod at him. My friends are rolling around on the ground, crying with laughter. !~@#$%^ The rest of the season I was the joke they were talking about.

1990 mulie.jpg

I took this picture a week after the season when he came back.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back