Help With Stock Finish

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
Lets start out saying I am not good at refinishing wood.
I removed the old shiny varnish.
Then added a coat of Stain, waited about 18 hours to dry.
Then added a second coat, this set for 36 hours, it was still tacky.
So I wiped the whole thing down with Acetone.
Now I am back to this this.
Any help?

49427172848_63fc07753c_c.jpg

What grit sand paper did you use in the end? Just trying to get some details first.

Is it possible that the stain I have is to old.
I bought it probably 10 years ago, used some a couple of times.
Is has been in the garage in the original can.
Tonight I noticed some had dripped on the outside of the can and it is still tacky wet after a couple of days.

I have used some of the Minwax stains that were over 30 years old and no problems but they were stored indoors in the warmth and no light. If they froze that might make a difference. I never had too good of results with a variety of stains if the wood was too soft, pine etc. Have used gel, aniline etc also.

Yeah ive seen that before woth stains stored outside in the cold. Id also suggest takibg to final finish up to at least 600 grit. 220 is fairly rough.

Yeah I've seen that before with stains stored outside in the cold. I'd also suggest taking to final finish up to at least 600 grit. 220 is fairly rough.
I also learned the hard way with storing stains and paints in my outdoor shed which freezes every winter.

Did you use a sanding block? The panels and cheek piece appear to be rounded over on the edges, while they should (ideally) be nice and crisp. Don't try to change it now though, or you may make it worse. Don't ask me how I know this....

~WH~

Did you use a sanding block? The panels and cheek piece appear to be rounded over on the edges, while they should (ideally) be nice and crisp. Don't try to change it now though, or you may make it worse. Don't ask me how I know this....

~WH~

No block, however I only lightly sanded those areas, they were rounded a bit when I got it.
I am pretty sure this started as a kit .

Thinking of just sealing this and leaving it my ugly Ducklin.

I think it called citrus paint and varnish remover.

I go to the hardware store tomorrow and check it out.
Will also get some finer sand paper and a new can of Stain.
I want dark, any recommendations?

The product is called citristrip. I've used it on all my refinish jobs. Works very well for removing old finsh and stains. 1580089796989.png

Thanks Dave,
I picked up some Citristrip, also picked up finer sand paper and
a new can of stain.

FUNNY SIDE NOTE:

In old Dixie Gun Works Catalogs they use to have some interesting recipes for staining wood items: stock, grips, handles, etc. The one my father used all the time was tobacco juice.

dixie.jpg

Tobacco juice was on hand all the time at our house as Dad was a chewer of "Good Man" tobacco but really liked the Beechnut brand when available.

beechnut-chewing-tobacco-sign-metal_1_1fc5f0423710b1993c65028900bd5ddf.jpg
Whatever he was finishing a little shot of the "juice" was applied, different brands of tobacco could provide a slightly different color.

Back in the 1940's-50's a small group of friends would do "trade-in's" in some of the southern states (modern guns for antiques anything). That's where you would see the tobacco finishes on their wares.

buck conner.jpg

Last edited:
I can't help but notice how badly black tea stains ceramic coffee cups - I drink hot tea regularly - and have wondered if tea would work as a stain on wood stocks. I know it is used on leather but never heard of anyone using it on wood. Tobacco juice is a new one on me!

I can't help but notice how badly black tea stains ceramic coffee cups - I drink hot tea regularly - and have wondered if tea would work as a stain on wood stocks. I know it is used on leather but never heard of anyone using it on wood. Tobacco juice is a new one on me!
Black tea works really well when boiled in an aluminum tea pot, doesn't take long and the inside of your pot is as black as the tea ... ;) tannic acid likes aluminum ... :(

Tea will work, some types better than other, need to test on wood being used. Tobacco juice has been used like so many other home grown items to get differnt colors on about everything from cloth garments, leather goods, clay items to wood articles. You name it and someone has used it.

buck conner.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back