Totally New and Know NOTHING!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long-Shot

Reaction score
Please help! I just posted a short thread on the welcome section.

A week ago I was able to pull the trigger on a T/C Renegade. I know quite a bit about firearms, not muzzleloaders. Anyway, I watched this gentleman load it and he showed me how to set the triggers and what not. I smoked his clay about a hundred yards out! Second shot, I missed, but just barley! He then told me that muzzleloading is quite addictive. Boy was he right! Like I said, that was a week ago.

Last night I bought one. I bought a T/C Renegade from Gunbroker. Its being shipped right now. Its a .54cal. I know I need things like a short start, capper, cleaning jag, ball puller, range rod, etc. But what I dont know is exactly how to load it, how to use a capper, what kind of powder to use, what kind of patches to use, etc, etc. I know pretty much NOTHING about muzzleloading! I know I want to shoot round balls. Thats pretty much it.

I also need advice on name brand stuff like the capper, short start, etc. What is good and what is cheap junk.

Any advice would be a HUGE help! I am wanting to get into Mountain Man reenactments and Rendezvous and what not. But I dont want to be totally traditional and accurate. I like the old traditional look and feel of things with a modern twist. I like the fiber optic front sight post matched with the tang rear peep, that should tell you what I am looking for in my accessories and what I should use.

Thank you all very very much!

Avenger

Congrats on getting the Renegade - they are an excellent side hammer... i have a real collection of them also... In fact i am going to shoot one tomorrow....

Where are you at in eastern WA.. I'm in north Idaho right next to WSU and the WA border... if you are not to far out there we might go do some shooting together and I can show you what I do...

There are really some fine folks on this sight and they will ad da ton of insight...

Back