I bought the Great Plains Hunter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quigley

Reaction score
Well I bought the Lyman GPH at Cabelas for $399.00 today. This my first traditional ML. Besides caps, what else do I need to buy to get started? I have plenty of Pyrodex RS, Powerbelt conicals, XTPs and sabots. Do I need any tools and cleaning stuff for the nipple other than what I have for my inlines? And do I need just standard #11 caps? Thanks guys

quigley said:
Well I bought the Lyman GPH at Cabelas for $399.00 today. This my first traditional ML. Besides caps, what else do I need to buy to get started? I have plenty of Pyrodex RS, Powerbelt conicals, XTPs and sabots. Do I need any tools and cleaning stuff for the nipple other than what I have for my inlines? And do I need just standard #11 caps? Thanks guys

You should be about set. Although I would get a long range rod if you do not have one. I never use the rifle ramrod for cleaning. Also a short starter if you do not have one. Keep us posted how well it shoots. That is a really good price for that rifle.

Congratulations on a good choice of rifle. I have 2 of them with the roundball barrels and have been very happy. When you get the rifle, make sure you clean the barrel with break cleaner to get out the heavy packing grease Lyman uses. The round ball guns tend to have sharp lands that cut patches in the beginning. Not sure if the same problem exists with the hunter barrels or not, but this can be polished with some steel wool wrapped around a cleaning brush.
As for caps, mine likes Remington or CCI caps and will not fire consistantly with RWS caps. Many like to change out the factory nipple or turn it down so it better fits the caps, but if I stick with the above, I have no problem with the factory nipples and with GOEX real black, I have 100% ignition. I also suggest you get a short starter and a solid brass range-rod. RMC makes one that is sized to fit the GPR. http://rmcsports.com/catalog.htm. Also a loading jag for conicals in 10-32 thread to fit the range rod.
Get a good nipple wrench ( might as well get a spare set of nipples as well). TOW sells a socket end wrench that is stronger than the usual off the shelf variety. For cleaning, I remove the barrel and use warm soapy water and dry with rubbing alcohol followed by dry patches, followed by a good coat of Ballistol.
Good luck with your new rifle :D

Gun

Congratulations. Target shooting these are a blast, hunting w/ them is probably the most fun i have had hunting in 15 years. Good luck and enjoy the persnickkety world of sidelocks.

Back