Ban the American Flag... IN AMERICA??

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Long-Shot

Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2010/05/06/american-flag-banned-america/

This is totally appalling. I picked it up from another forum I belong to. Read the short story, click on the link, and vote.

I cannot believe this is actually happening.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The story

California Students Sent Home for Wearing U.S. Flags on Cinco de Mayo

FOXNews.com

Administrators at a California high school sent five students home on Wednesday after they refused to remove their American flag T-shirts and bandannas -- garments the school officials deemed "incendiary" on Cinco de Mayo.

print email share recommend (44)
Administrators at a California high school sent five students home on Wednesday after they refused to remove their American flag T-shirts and bandannas -- garments the school officials deemed "incendiary" on Cinco de Mayo.

The five teens were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., on Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, the Morgan Hill Times reported. The boys told the newspaper they complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

The five students -- Daniel Galli, Austin Carvalho, Matt Dariano, Dominic Maciel and Clayton Howard -- were then told they must turn their T-shirts inside-out or be sent home, though it would not be considered a suspension. Rodriguez told the students he did not want any fights to break out between Mexican-American students celebrating their heritage and those wearing American flags.

"They said we were starting a fight," Dariano told the newspaper. "We were fuel to the fire."

The boys told Rodriguez and Principal Nick Boden that turning their shirts inside-out was disrespectful, so their parents decided to take them home, the newspaper reports.

"I just couldn't believe it," Julie Fagerstrom, Maciel's mother, told the newspaper. "I'm an open-minded parent, but it's got to be on both sides. It can't be five kids singled out."

Galli told NBC Bay Area, "They said we could wear it on any other day, but today is sensitive to Mexican-Americans because it's supposed to be their holiday so we were not allowed to wear it."

In a statement released on Wednesday, the Morgan Hill Unified School District said it did not agree with the school's actions.

"In an attempt to foster a spirit of cultural awareness and maintain a safe and supportive school environment, the Live Oak High School administration took certain actions earlier today," the statement read. "The district does not concur with the Live Oak High School administration's interpretation of either board or district policy related to these actions."

Attempts to reach school officials early Thursday were not successful. A secretary told the Morgan Hill Times that Boden and Rodriguez were unavailable for comment on Wednesday.

According to its website, Live Oak High School is a 1,300-student institution in the southern part of Santa Clara County, with most students residing in the nearby cities of Morgan Hill and San Jose.

"The student population reflects the rich ethnic and socioeconomic diversity of the community," the website reads.

More than 100 students were spotted wearing the colors of the Mexican flag -- red, white and green -- as they left school, including some who had the flag painted on their faces or arms, the Morgan Hill times reported.

While bandannas of any color are banned at the school, its dress code policy does not contain references to American flags.

"However, any clothing or decoration which detracts from the learning environment is prohibited," the policy reads. "The school has the right to request that any student dressing inappropriately for school will change into other clothes, be sent home to change, and/or be subject to disciplinary action."

Freshman Laura Ponce, who had a Mexican flag painted on her face and chest, told the Morgan Hill Times that Cinco de Mayo is the "only day" Mexican-American students can show their national pride.

"There was a lot of drama going on today," Ponce told the newspaper.

Some other Mexican-American students reportedly said their flags were taken away or asked to be put away, but no other students were sent home on Wednesday.

Eugene Volokh, a professor of law at the University of California-Los Angeles, said the students are protected under California Education Code 48950, which prohibits schools from enforcing a rule subjecting a high school student to disciplinary sanctions solely on the basis of conduct, that when engaged outside of campus, is protected by the First Amendment.

If the school could point to previous incidents sparked by students who wore garments with American flags, they could argue that the flag is likely to lead to "substantial disruption," Volokh said.

"If, for example, there had been fights over similar things at past events, if there had been specific threats made," he said. "But if [school officials] just say, 'Well, we think it might be offensive to people,' that's generally speaking not enough."

Volokh said the students and their parents likely have a winning case on their hands if they decide to take the matter to court.

"Oh yes, it's almost open and shut," he said.

Lis Wiehl, a former federal prosecutor and a Fox News legal analyst, said the incident appears to a "blatant" violation of the students' First Amendment right to free speech. She noted that inciting violence is an exception to a First Amendment legal defense, but Wiehl said she saw no indications that the students provoked anyone.

"Unless I'm missing something, this seems like a blatant violation of the First Amendment," said Wiehl, adding that uniforms are not required at the public school. "And they're wearing, of all horrific things, the American flag."

FoxNews.com's Joshua Rhett Miller contributed to this report.

:evil: :twisted:

THIS KIND OF CRAP JUST BURNS MY ASS!!!!!!! "BAN THE FLAG" ????? WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD EVEN THINK OF DOING SUCH A GREAT INJUSTICE TO THIS GREAT COUNTRY AND TO ALL THE PEOPLE WHO FOUGHT AND DIED FOR IT?????
PEOPLE TODAY FORGOT WHAT PEOPLE HAD TO GO THROUGH SO THESE PEOPLE COULD ASK SUCH A DUMB QUESTION.
THE AMERICAN PEOPLE ARE ALLOWING THIS AND A LOT MORE ISSUES TO BE CHANGED IN ORDER GET THE VOTE.
MY FAMILY CAME TO THIS COUNTRY WITHOUT A DIME IN THEIR POCKETS AND STARTED A NEW LIFE. THEY LEARNED TO SPEAK ENGLISH AND BECAME AMERICAN CITIZENS. THEY WORKED FOR WHAT THEY GOT.
PEOPLE COME TO THIS COUNTRY AND EXPECT TO GET EVERYTHING FOR NOTHING AND THEN CONTINUE TO WAVE THE FLAG OF THEIR COUNTRY. IF THEY LOVE THEIR COUNTRY, LET THEM GO BACK AND STAY THERE. ONLY AMERICANS LIVE HERE!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI

These school administrators live to push their power button. In this case their actions were totally wrong. The students wearing the American Flag had every right to do so. Just because it was Cinco de Mayo. The funny thing is, Cinco de Mayo is not even celebrated through out all of Mexico. It celebrates the winning of the Mexican Army over the French at the Battle of Puebla. It is not the Mexican Independence Day as some people think. That happens to be September 16th I believe.

The constitutional rights of these student who were sent home was violated. If I were their parents I would take actions against the school administration. Even though I hate to see school systems with budget problems already sued. I am not sure the school's defense of ... their shirts might cause violence to occur is valid. After all, the American Mexican population that celebrate Cinco de Mayo are both of Mexican Heritage but of American legal status (we hope) and culture also.

Personally I would have thought that the school would have welcomed the students who wore the American Flag as it showed commitment and pride in the American form of government, that actually makes it possible for Cinco de Mayo to even be celebrated. It would show a combining of cultures to me. Something to encourage not punish.

It sounds more to me like the school administrators there just had little control over the conduct of their students. So they instead decide to avoid any confrontation by stepping on the rights of one group over the other.

I cannot agree with both of you enough.

"I fought for this flag so the protester may burn this flag."

If you don't like living in America....here's an idea move your ass back to Mexico!!!! :evil:

AMERICAN FLAC

ITS COMING FOLKS. OBAMA WANTS TO MAKE 11MILLION OF THEM AMERICANS! I CAN HERE IT NOW .WHY DO WE HAVE TO PRESS ONE FOR SPANISH?OR WE DONT NEED NO STINKING FLAG! WE VOTE FOR THESE IDIOTS WHO MAKE THESE LAWS.HOW ABOUT ONE 3 YEAR TERM IN OFFICE AND THEN YOU CANT EVEN RUN FOR DOG CATCHER?

Latest posts

Back