Hello from Putnam County NYS

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RicM

Reaction score
Thank you for having me on this board. Seems to be a wealth of information as I consider myself a new-be BP muzzle loading owner/shooter and forever interested on learning.
In 2019 while in a thrift antique store I bought an odd looking BP percussion cap smooth bore rifle for $70 bucks. Pretty unusual with a duck bill carved in the stock, figured it was a great wall hanger. In comes Covid and the ammo shortages of 2020. So one afternoon bored not wanting to hit the range using ammo, I looked at it hanging on the walI and figured......maybe? So I did an extensive breakdown, cleaning and bore inspection etc. Researched that it was early 1900's made in Spain imported to Mexico and parts down there, used for hunting birds and yes, monkeys! Only found one simlar on line called a Monkey Gun .410 ball smooth bore takes about 28 grains. Safety first, mounted in a gun mount outdoors, loaded with a string on the trigger, while protected, yanked the string, I shot it. Soon after I was reloading and shooting about 25 yards spot on the target. Thats all it took and I was hooked!! In one short year i since acquired, an all original 1863 Springfield .58 cal Rifle and 1854 Aston/Johnson .54 cal muzzle loading pistol from a close friend, and a T/C replica Hawken .45 cal Flintlock. Love them all and shoot them more than my other rifles. All of them shoot spot on. So I'm forever hooked and thanks for having me.IMG_5957.jpg

Thank you for having me on this board. Seems to be a wealth of information as I consider myself a new-be BP muzzle loading owner/shooter and forever interested on learning.
In 2019 while in a thrift antique store I bought an odd looking BP percussion cap smooth bore rifle for $70 bucks. Pretty unusual with a duck bill carved in the stock, figured it was a great wall hanger. In comes Covid and the ammo shortages of 2020. So one afternoon bored not wanting to hit the range using ammo, I looked at it hanging on the walI and figured......maybe? So I did an extensive breakdown, cleaning and bore inspection etc. Researched that it was early 1900's made in Spain imported to Mexico and parts down there, used for hunting birds and yes, monkeys! Only found one simlar on line called a Monkey Gun .410 ball smooth bore takes about 28 grains. Safety first, mounted in a gun mount outdoors, loaded with a string on the trigger, while protected, yanked the string, I shot it. Soon after I was reloading and shooting about 25 yards spot on the target. Thats all it took and I was hooked!! In one short year i since acquired, an all original 1863 Springfield .58 cal Rifle and 1854 Aston/Johnson .54 cal muzzle loading pistol from a close friend, and a T/C replica Hawken .45 cal Flintlock. Love them all and shoot them more than my other rifles. All of them shoot spot on. So I'm forever hooked and thanks for having me.View attachment 3695
WOW! now them thar guns are rely nice!! thanks' for sharing them!!

Thank you, taking them all out next week for some outdoor shooting.

Welcome, and definitely love that 1863 Springfield. Looks to be in pristine condition. Enjoy.

Welcome, and nice looking irons. I lived in orange county for a while in the late 80s early 90s. There was still some land to hunt back then! Lol

Latest posts

Back