Opening day on the farm (updated 12-20)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minst7877

Reaction score
Well I went to the farm Sat night and set up a second portable blind. The wind as predicted was out of the north on opening morning. The corn is still standing and I fear the worst for this season as locating deer will be hard due to the corn.

Season opens at 6:59am here and there isn't much going on. About 7:30 I here one of the others on the farm shoot and later learn that he harvested a small basket 6 point. This was his first deer in close to 20 years so he was very excited.

Things quiet back down and not much going on when I have five deer trotting down the edge of the hay field I am setting on. Looks to be two mature does with three good sized yearlings. The empty freezer at home looms large in my mind as I look them over knowing I will only have three short days to hunt this firearm season. As they pass by my blind I pick out one of the mature does and try to keep her in my scope. At 110 yards out they stop and huddle up into a tight ball and I lose the one I have been concentrating on in the group. They stand there for what seemed like a eternity but was probable only a couple of minutes and start to spread back out. I find one of the large does in the scope and the savage roars. I am watching as they run further down the field but one is already starting to lag. She catches up and turns to the right and I can see the blood on her side as she falls to the ground. The four remaining deer run for the south east end of the field and into the woods. I know the one is laying right there next to the corn but when I look back I can no longer see her laying there. I sit for 30 anxious minutes then head over to where she was seen last. As I walk up the edge of the corn I find a heavy blood trail leading into the corn. It was a very short and easy track of about 20 yard to where I found her.

Bullet was a .458 Rem HP in a orange MMP sabot over 110gr volume BH209 with a CCI 209m primer. No bullet recovery pass thru shot enter about 2 inches behind the diaphragm on her left side and exited out right front shoulder. Got both lungs as it angled thru. I love these bullets as every one has put the deer down in a very short time with great blood trails. Hope to get a picture from one of the others at the farm as they are on his camera at this time. Too warm here to let it hang so it was skinned quartered and in the cooler within a couple of hours. Weighed in at 147lbs

DC

Congrats on that kill. Hey what do you mean the corn makes it worst to find deer, what happens? I figured they would be attracted to it.

Good job minst. Lots of corn left around here as well. The November antlerless season will be interesting next weekend because of it.

funman- Around here when there is standing corn deer don't necessarily have to leave it which makes it hard to find them.

Which Gun did you use?....... Great Hunting Story.... Congrats on putting meat in the freezer......

funman said:
Congrats on that kill. Hey what do you mean the corn makes it worst to find deer, what happens? I figured they would be attracted to it.

They go in lay down and don't come out. No need to they have all the food they could need. Can't walk up on them because they plant the corn so thick you can't get through it quietly.

DC

We had a big shoot yesterday.Interduced 3 adults an two boy scouts to muzzleloaders!! They really injoyed it, an so did i. :D

Congratulation on the doe. That sounds like a nice big doe you shot. Way to go, and nice shooting!!

wishtofish said:
Which Gun did you use?....... Great Hunting Story.... Congrats on putting meat in the freezer......

It was the Savage 10MLII

DC

Opening day on the farm updated 12-20

Well this year as I suspected has been a very tough season. I hunted two and a half days for at the firearm season opener and you know I was fortunate to harvest a nice doe.

We made the trip to the Upper peninsula to hunt my buddies property for the opening of ML season there. Between three of us we saw two deer that got the pass and I got blown off in my blind one night but never saw what was doing the blowing. Came home a day early due to the weather crapping out on us and the 4 wheel drive on his truck going out at the worst possible time.

Sat Dec 12 found me back at the farm and the corn had been picked and we had a wonderful south west wind which allowed me to head out to straw corner for the evening hunt. Got on stand about 2:45 and kept adding layers of clothes to stay warm as it was only about 25 degrees out. At about 4:00 3 deer walk out into the edge of the fields and start feeding and moving north. They will pass me at 105yds at the closest point if they don't move down into the field further. My freezer is suffering from loneliness this year and desperately needed some company so I pick out the largest of the three and start following it with the scope on my 10 ML II. As it gets to the closest range it will be coming the Savage roared and sent a .458 300gr Rem HP on it way. The deer scatter and I am trying to see where the one I shot went but am having no luck by the time the smoke cleared they had mixed their position and I wasn't sure which one I needed to watch. As I am trying to figure out where it went I am stuffing another load down the muzzle of the gun. They have no idea where the noise came from and are milling around in the woods behind the corn field. As I am setting there thinking I need to go check on this deer several more start into the field from the south. I start looking them over to see if I can find any horns but all I am seeing are baldies. As I scan the field with my binos I keep seeing more and more deer moving just out of the field in the edge of the woods. As I swing the binos to the north a deer pops up right where I had just shot the Doe and I'm thinking OH NO :shock: It's getting back up. I pull up the Savage and it sends another .458 300gr Rem on its way. Deer are now running in all directions and I am trying to follow this deer that I had just put what I thought was the second bullet into it. There it is, it just went down over to the north a little ways.

I get up and walk across the field to look for the deer and get it field dressed before dark. I walk to within five yards of where I had shot the deer and find the snow with a mist of red and good blood headed north. I follow the blood about 25 yards and the deer is piled up in the edge of the field. I look her over but can only find one hole in and out of her. Now I'm wondering what happened so I move back down the field to the south and trying to sort out the sign to see what happened. I can't believe I missed the first one but at this point who knows. As I retrace the blood trail i see something off to the side about 3 yards and go over to check it out. It turns out to be some more blood so I start scanning around it and find another trail leading into the edge of the woods. This trail leads me about 40 yds into the woods and here I find the first one piled up. Now the work begins and I drag it over to where the other one is and start field dressing the deer. 20 minutes apart and two deer down and both dressed out before dark. It was a good day and the freezer is now much happier.

I have hunted a total of 6 days this season and seen a total of 20 deer. Way down from what we normally see and far fewer shot on the farm this year than in past years. Two during early bow season four during the firearm season and two during muzzleloader season. Normally by now we have taken around fifteen off the farm. We still have late antlerless season until Jan 1 but I don't know of anyone planning on hunting the farm during this time. I know Christmas gets in the way for me to be able to get back down during this season.

Bullet report on these two were almost identical shots. The Specifics

Savage ML 10 II
110 gr BH209
orange MMP Sabot
.458 300gr Rem HP
CCIm 209 primer

#1 Bullet entered right side on the first one just missing the shoulder and shattered the left side shoulder joint on its way thru both lungs mush.

#2 bullet entered right side just missing the shoulder mushed both lungs and the heart was laying loose unconnected in the bottom of the chest cavity. It also shattered the left side shoulder joint on its way out.

I love the way these put deer down but I have got to start picking my spot a little bit differently as the three offside shoulders on the ones I got this year were pretty much scrap due to the massive damage in them.

DC

What county?

I hunted in Jackson and Calhoun counties this fall and into winter. That late standing corn sure changed things from last year. I did take a doe on the last Saturday of ML season and one more on the first day of late doe gun season.

Congratulations on your kills.

Back