TC High Plains Sporter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMC31589

Reaction score
TC High Plains Sporter 50 Cal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got this TC from a friend and it was never been fired. I was using 50 cal sabot - Hodgdon Triple 7 FFG powder- cci #11 cap. The first two shots great. The third shot took two caps. The fourth took four caps. The fifth shot took five caps to fire. I field clean it every shot. What should I do? I cleaned the gun when I got home a found nothing wrong. The nipple looks good.

What are you using to clean it between shots? Sounds like you are getting too much moisture between your cap and powder?

That T/C #13 is the worst, if you are too wet? It will put a stop to most ignitions.

I am going to guess that after you field cleaned it, you left moisture in the end of the barrel. Or you pushed fouling up against the bolster.

Here is what I do, and it works for me. Before I shoot, take some isopropyl alcohol 91% (works good). Lightly dampen a patch. Swab the bore of the rifle. Now swab the bore with a dry patch. I think like to push a dry patch into the bottom of the bore and pop a cap. Keep doing this until you see burn marks on that patch.

Now you load and shoot your first round. Take a patch and apply a little straight alcohol, Windex, or if your shooting Triple Seven, even spit is good. But you only want a little. We do not want to saturate that patch. Work that down the bore in short strokes. Then a couple dry patches. if you have any doubt that the bore might be wet, pop a cap off or two before you load again.

Now load again and see if it does not go off better for you.

Back