TC Omega tips for a newbie

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonB

Reaction score
Greetings. Been lurking for a day or so and really appreciate all the info I'm finding.Based on zero knowledge, I think I've come up with some starter needs for my TC Omega:
Bullets: Lehigh .452
Sabots: MMP
Powder: BH209
Primer: CCI
I figure that should get me going. If you have any opinions, please share!!

Not for the 'fun' stuff. What do I absolutely, positively have to get? "Nice to haves" welcome. All I currently have is the rifle and manual.

TIA DonB

DonB said:
Greetings. Been lurking for a day or so and really appreciate all the info I'm finding.Based on zero knowledge, I think I've come up with some starter needs for my TC Omega:

Not for the 'fun' stuff. What do I absolutely, positively have to get? "Nice to haves" welcome. All I currently have is the rifle and manual.

TIA DonB

Lehigh bullets should shoot well. Also 250 grain Shockwaves normally shoot well in an Omega if you want to pick some up at a local store and shoot. 250 grain XTP's work well if you want to buy in bulk. The diameter you want is .452. I am not sure of their length.

Shockwaves come with their own sabots. Some Omega's are tight bore. If your rifle is one of them get the E-Z glide (yellow in color) sabots with the Shockwaves if you go that route. If your rifle is tight bore you might want some MMP HPH-24 (ask Sabotmaker. I think they are the thin ones) or some Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. The powder and the primer look good. If you have a larger bore then some of the short black sabots work real good.

Do you have a short starter, powder measure, flask lid for the BH 209 can, swabbing solution, patches, cleaners, brushes, and because you are wanting to use BH209 be sure and have a good solvent around to clean the rifle. I like the Montana X-treme Cowboy Solvent, but Hoppes, Birchwood Casey, or any of the good solvents will work. Just do not use water when you clean BH209.

Man, quick response!!

At this stage, the only things I have are cartridge based stuff: patches - altho probably too small, Hoppe's oils and solvents, etc. Other than a rifle, nothing. I'm starting from scratch.

What is a short starter? Some little fellow to get me moving???

How would I know if I had a 'tight bore', short of buying a bunch of different bullets/sabots?

I was leaning towards the BH209 due to less immediate cleaning requirements (such as bench shooting, or that rare instance when the first shot doesn't drop my deer. :eek:) I'm wide open to suggestions.

Thanks for the other items. I have been building my shopping list and most are on there. I figure the 'toys' will follow in short order.

I really do appreciate the help.

9058Small.jpg

That is a short start for loading sabots. You put the sabot with the bullet in it, into the false muzzle (the QLA) and then use the short starter to get it down into the barrel. It saves wear and tear on your ramrod. Also that short starter can be screwed into the female end of your ramrod which then makes the ramrod longer. A big plus for cleaning your rifle. Get a range rod if you can. This is a rod that will be used only on the range. Save the one in the rifle for hunting.

You can get that short starter and the other things at T/C arms. Or most of the other online stores carry them also.

Most of us like to get scoped up right away too. Do you have bases,rings, & at least a mid quality scope? Depending on where you live & stores available mail ordering from the likes of Midwayusa.com is more efficient than running around. I'd do primers & powder local, if you can.

muskrat30 said:
Most of us like to get scoped up right away too. Do you have bases,rings, & at least a mid quality scope? Depending on where you live & stores available mail ordering from the likes of Midwayusa.com is more efficient than running around. I'd do primers & powder local, if you can.

I mentioned this in my 'Hello" entry. I was in my local pawn shop this week looking for an old Redfield (3x9) scope for my BAR 30.06 (I'm real partial to them) and the only one they had was attached to this Omega. Since he wasn't asking much more than I was willing to pay for the scope alone, I bought it. Now I have to find another scope and spend TWICE the time at the farm shooting than originally planned! S***s to be me sometimes. ;^)

DonB said:

Of course I am not sure which Omega you have purchased - but I can tell that the Omega is really a good solid ML. Mine, well the one I have left, is a Stainless Steel on a black thumbhole stock. My other Omega was a blued model mounted in a Black Sythetic stock. Both of them are excellent shooters.

I did convert both of them to a 25 ACP ignition. This system is nearly, if not 100%, blowback free. The original 209 breech plug that the Omega comes with is somewhat leaky around the primer so you do get a little blow back material in the breech and possibly on the underside of the scope.

Excellent hunting bullet! the .452/250 grain bullet is accurate and deadly. It does operate on a different theory than the normal expanding bullet that we are use to. This style of bullet was developed in Germany and really is hard for some of us to accept.

But, they are awful expensive to be shooting for load development or for shooting paper targets. For that i would probably pick up some .452/250 grain Hornady bullets. They are much shorter but will fly about the same to 100 yards. When you are sighted in with the Hornady - then load up some of the Lehighs and verify 'point of impact'.

Here are some bullet canidates....

BulletComparison.jpg

Sabot fit is really important... and with the Omega how old or how new it is will detirmine which sabot may fit the best. Mine is the older model and the bore is slightly larger than the newer models. In mine the MMP HPH-24 and a .452 bullet is an excellent fit and it shoots them very well.

In the second Omega that I had it was a newer Z5 model I did have to use even a thinner sabot so I used a MMP HPH-3p-EZ load sabot. A Havester 4550CR is another option. A lot of folks like the Harvester 'Crush Rib' sabot, but tend to not use them unless I really have to, if I need them to get a bullet down the bore comfortably.

Excellent choice of powder... there is a bit of a learning curve that goes with the use of BH but - it is not hard to master. The powder is just to expensive for me to justify so I stay with T7-2f. I just shoot to much, and the extra 6 ounces I get with T7 really does help the shooting costs.

If you choose to shoot Bh then you will prorbably need to shoot a CCI-209M or a Federal 209A primer. Western Powders recommends these two hotter primers as BH requires much more heat to ignite than the other subs. But, since the breech plug is so short in an Omega other good quality primers might also work.

Start slow and have fun....

TIA DonB

Dave, Cayugad, actually is a master at this portion - I think he has a canned list of materials to have and I know he has a great list for cleaning. Pick his mind, just be forwarned that he has a ton of ML's far more than most and will encourage you to do the same....

Here is a picture that might help you....

MLTools2.jpg

What is not in the picture is a quality Range Rod.... If you get hooked on shooting a ML, and you will, you will eventually want a good range rod with a muzzle protector...

Tipton makes a very good rod....

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/tipton/

Lehigh is in the process of making a great rod also but I do not know when it will be released....

sabotloader said:
Of course I am not sure which Omega you have purchased

First, thanks for the pictures and explanations. They help a lot. My TC sounds like your second one: blued barrel and synthetic stock. Marking on barrel is only 'Omega'. Serial number is 2xxx. So I would suspect it is an early version, but I don't know how they number their rifles. Everything else is standard TC stampings. It has what appear to be nice red/green optical iron sights (stock?).

DonB

Sounds like an Omega Z5 to me...

Would have to see the rear sight to know for sure but it is probabaly a Z5

Since it is a Z5 it might have a tight barrel... so I would suggest you try a .452 bullet in a Harvester Crush Rib...

Remove the breech plug INSERT IGNORE a bullet into the sabot and try pushing it down through and out the breech. If it takes two hands on the rod to push you probably have the right sabot. If it goes down real easy or with just one hand pressure you might need the HPH-24

good luck...

Back