Model 70 safety problems

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
I ended up with a Winchester Model 70 .7mm WSM on a recent trade. The safety is almost impossible to engage. Has anyone else had or know anyone who has had this problem and if so how did you/they fix it. It actually seems like the firing pin is not milled out far enough when its cocked so as the safety can turn into it.

The last of the model 70's that came from the New Haven plant before the plant closure had some serious quality control problems. You receiver is likey stamped with "Licensed by Olin Corp"

There is a gunsmith ( Lee Christenson) in Wisconsin that specalizes in Model 70's and can correct your wing safety problem. I will get you a phone number if interested.

I handled a pre-plant closure M-70 in Gander Mountain in 7mmWSM (LEFT HAND) that the bolt would not open all the way back. I don't know why that rifle was even shipped.

Chocdog

Hey, I had the same problem with a late model 'Classic Compact' model 70 243. It was very hard to re-engage the safety. I actually sent my gun to Lee in Northern WI, as described above. I did it about 1.5 yrs ago. It came back much better, but not as good as my 70's vintage model 70. I could deal with mine, but it's also the household 'youth' rifle, & had to be fixed.

Lee is the guy to ask. He hangs out on the 24hourcampfire forums under the handle 'Redneck'. He's easy to spot.

Thanks guys and sorry for taking so long for an update. I kept tinkering with it and between looking and comparing my other '70 in .300wsm I figured out what went wrong. It was a factory mistake. The end of the firing pin is supposed the be fit for each rifle, so they told me at Winchester, but some how mine didn't quite get the right adjustment before it was "pinned" in place to the end piece. I just took a file and with a few cautious strokes it works great now.

Back