Range shooting, how hot do you let your barrel get?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnpb

Reaction score
When you are shooting at the range, your barrel can get pretty hot. How hot do you let it get before you stop shooting? I know the range where I go, if someone sees that you are not shooting, they want your bench not know you are trying to let your barrel cool down. Any more most shooters around here shoot AR or AK style rifles and all they want to do is burn up alot of ammo.

I can't really remember shooting fast enough where it was that big of a deal, the barrel temps. I usually spend some time looking at the target,adjusting the scope or whatnot.

A few years ago there was a story from MI I believe where a guy 'supposidly' poured some powder or pellets down his M-L barrel and a hot spark/ember set his charge off. Yes he was injured & burnt. This story may or may not be true, but I still think it's a good practice to not rush the reload to much. I will admit I have expedited a time or 2 while hunting. I don't let my barrels get so hot I can't hold them, ARs etc..

I just kind of go by feel. In the summer, it doesn't take much for the barrel to heat up. I've taken to bringing along another rifle or two. That way you can switch out an let the ML cool down without being hassled by others wanting your spot.

How hot is too hot?

Barrels in the summer will heat up to a point that they are even uncomfortable to touch. It has happened to me countless times. Your question of how hot is too hot is a good one. You will start to notice your groups going south or you will get the flier from outer space. No real reason for it, the thing just happened. I think the heat interferes with the harmonics of the barrel causing them fliers or sudden expanded groups.

I have known people to take a cooler filled with ice and water and towels, and after the barrel is swabbed, pull an ice cold towel from the cooler, ring the water out of the towel and wrap the barrel with the ice towel while they check targets or what not. The ice cold towel of course will cool the barrel some.

I take three rifles to the range on a hot day. And I shoot and rest them in order. Just the sitting in the shade under the shooting bench (out of the way) for that five or ten more minutes will really help in the barrel staying cool.

But when you ask how hot is too hot? You will know the answer to that. I usually go by touch, and group size. Also, I take my time when I shoot. Having my own range, I race no one but myself. I can swab the rifle, set it down, wander around, just relax and enjoy the back yard. I know some people at public ranges can not do this (and I pity you). But you can slow down on the speed you swab, maybe run two patches or an extra dry patch. Study the target a little longer. Make better notes about what is going on with the load your developing. Just slow down on hot day. It will help your groups.

John the first thing that is affected by the heat is the sabot, plastic softens as it gets warmer. I also take 3 guns to the range usually all muzzle loaders so that if I shoot one at a time the first is back to air temperature by the time I get done with the last. It is true that the harmonics are affected by heat also but that takes a higher temperature than the sabot does if you let the barrel get really warm to touch then you are fighting two problems at the same time. Lee

Cayuga nailed it and said it better than i could have.

YOU will know in time.

I spend time at 2 private ranges and 2 pay ranges. Taking my time at either is the most enjoyable at the very least. Enjoy yourself and relax.

On warmer days i may take 3 rifles total and thats about right for me.

BTW for ME, when the bang bang bang bang guys show up i usually leave. For ME the distractions are too much of a danger and annoying. Being hit by hot brass while im trying to get that cloverleaf isnt productive.

I have never paid much attention to it but I will tell you that my first shots of the day are usually the best.Don't know if it's the BBL or ME.

hot barrel

What Lee 9 said......Hot mushy sabots spell bad accuracy. Two muzzleloaders are about right for me if its not too hot.
wayles

I know some go ahead and measure out their powder before but I might measure 3 or maybe 6 but because of the cauos at the nearest public range and everybody wanting to just shoot I'll measure each load at the range. I try to give my barrel some time to cool down and when it gets too hot, almost uncomfortable to put the tender part of your arm on it, I load up and come home. I've fixed me a place behind my house where I can shoot 65 yards and do all of my shorter shooting there. I'm chomping at the bit to get my new Accura down to the range and see how much bigger the spread gets.

Latest posts

Back