New Apex out on the Range

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
And i wasnt behind the trigger! This is my Dads rifle. I mounted the barrel some days ago and we took it out to first 25 and then 50 yards before the snow drove us in for a few hours. Clouds broke up and turned hot outside so i loaded up the truck and we drove out back to the 75-100 yard range. Weather was perfect for the first 30 minutes and then the storm blew back to us and got COLD, hands felt like ice after a while.

CVA Apex .50cal - 295gr powerbelt - 90gr Volume Blackhorn209 - CCI 209M primers. I dont think we'll mess with that load. 75 yards
000_1103.jpg

000_1102.jpg

000_1101.jpg

After those 3 shots my brother was shooting the Optima for a good 10 minutes after checking the target out.

I THOUGHT i had adjusted the sights and when my dad fired the Apex again............ I must not have adjusted them LOL.
000_1104.jpg

Adjusted the sights up and to the right
000_1111.jpg

Last 2 shots touching.
000_1109.jpg

Earlier i took a shot with it before it was fully sighted in. Whoops! Hey at least i know birchwood casey uses tough steel for the target frames! Good thing it wasnt a Thor. LOL
000_1106.jpg

Nice shooting FG's father :D

Ive settled on the Apex as my next "convertible" but i want a 45 ML barrel and a 45/70. Hopefully it can be re chambered at a later date to 45/90+ and filled with BH209 since they have load data.

I still wish they offered it in 450 Marlin or 50S&W. I love the 50S&W rifles even though they kick like a mad Rhino. :lol:

Then i can sell the Accura or give it to a family member.

FG, the Apex trigger is partially adjustable correct and as nice as the Accura trigger out of the box?

I love my Knights but the Accura trigger fits me perfect and IMO one of the best on the market for a non adjustable trigger. Ive shot my best 200yard groups with it.

yep the trigger is adjustable. i'd guess mine to be around 2.5lbs and no grit or creep. My dad really enjoyed the trigger on it.

frontier gander said:
yep the trigger is adjustable. i'd guess mine to be around 2.5lbs and no grit or creep. My dad really enjoyed the trigger on it.

That is how i feel about the Accura trigger, almost no creep and breaks very clean. No gritty feel at all, just smooth as silk.

Nice shooting rifle you got there. I would be very happy with those groups. I think one of these is in my future. I just have not seen one to feel how it shoulders and check the quality workmanship. You gotta hold one before you buy it? Right.

if you can use a scope during muzzleloading season, dont pick up the Apex because i can guarantee you will fall in love with its balance and the feeling of the rifle in your hands. They used a rubberized coating on the stock and it just feels amazing in your hands.

Looks like it's a shooter! I may have to acquire one of those upon my return to the states. 8)

Yep, I handled a couple of them at Cabela's but in the rifle configuration, and they sure felt great and looked well made. While I was never a CVA fan, I think they hit a Grand Slam on this design. My 60th birthday is coming up so you know I will be dropping hints on how I wish I had one of these. Probably wind up with a new tie. SIGH :lol:

Ed

I just had my birthday , I dropped hints of getting one too.Instead my wife got me a suit..... GOOD LUCK !!!!

Steve

It has to be one of the best feeling muzzleloaders in the market. I would not trade mine for anything. Home run all the way for CVA

Definitely agree on the home run. Truly though, my Accura has a slightly better trigger, only because my Apex will not adjust down to that low a pull weight. Both are VERY good triggers though.

Old review is still up if anyone wants a look. http://www.sunrisearchery.com/Apex.htm

FG, did your Dad's come with open sights or did you/he add them later?

i added them, the old set off the Accura. I actually mounted the tru glow sights on the Apex yesterday and my dad wants to see how he does with them. Said that if he cant match the last target, hes taking them off :lol:

Latest posts

Back