Cleaning rod?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino Hunter

Reaction score
What type of cleaning rod does everyone use?

Do you use the ramrod that came with your gun? Mine's too short for pushing through. But the cleaning jag, brush and mop fit the ramrod, and not a standard cleaning rod.

I'm curios what you all do?

Thanx in advance!

Rhino Hunter

I use a DAC 3/8" brass rod. Tho one would get you by, I have a couple of these. Use one as a range rod an use the other as a cleaning rod. Plenty of options on E-bay.

I have two 36" custom stainless steel rods I use. For instance on the range, one will be set up for loading and the other for swabbing. Also because of their length you do not have to pull scopes if you don't want to. All of them have large ends that if a patch is tight, I can turn the rifle over, stand on it and horse the tight patch out. The one that comes with the rifle is used only for loading in the field.

If they are wood rods, be careful with them. Some of them with age become brittle and if they break, and you run that through your hand you will never forget that experience.

Also for a while, Knight and Green Mountain had some really bad rods out there. Not like the one Nim pointed you to, that is a very nice ramrod actually. But the ones that came with Green Mountain, the ends were not pinned and they came off. So check the rod. If it is not a one piece solid, make sure the ends are pinned.

I bought one of those .50 cleaning kits from Cabellas a few years ago.not worth it unless its on clearance,but the rod works great.

Dave, are those Woodgoat WunderWods? :wink:

I have two of those as well and a 7/16 diameter double-ended rod from Cain's which I use as range/cleaning rods. The double-ended rod is .45 on one end, .50 on the other. Barely fits in a .45 bore but it's made from Delrin so no worries.

when hunting i use the power rod. .on the range i made my own out of an aluminum 3/8 rod 36" long ..drilled and tapped the end and screwed in the jag ..works good

Latest posts

Back