Hawken gets a new Barrel

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
Received my new GM barrel
:D

50 Cal., 32", 1:66 twist
Fit was not quite perfect, had to do a little tweaking, but now it fits great.
Also down in the breech area there looked like a rust ring and crud.
However once I got a small cleaning jag and patch in there, it turned out to be what looks like polishing rouge, no doubt left from lapping I would guess, cleaned right out.
Had a thick coat of protective oil or grease inside and out.
Bore is beautiful, finish beautiful. The ramrod could use another coat of stain, very light.
Hopefully I will get to shoot it Tuesday.
If she shoots good I will be selling my factory barrel, or getting it bored out to .54

49577978412_29d73fa85f_c.jpg

49580356002_bbc440e43a_z.jpg

Last edited:
What a pretty bore. Thats what a BP rifle barrel should look like. I bet its a shooter too. We need a range report. ASAP.

Idaholewis:
Nice Shootin'
Hope mine shoots that well.
Will start with .490 Balls & .020 Ticking.
I also have some .495 Balls & .015 Ticking

What Bore Scope are you using?

Idaholewis:
Nice Shootin'
Hope mine shoots that well.
Will start with .490 Balls & .020 Ticking.
I also have some .495 Balls & .015 Ticking

What Bore Scope are you using?

It is called a Teslong, The camera is a Tiny .20 Cal size (or there abouts) It is designed for UP CLOSE Detail, Best used with the 45 Degree Mirrors that Come with it. With a little practice, You can literally go down a “Land” make a slight turn and come back up a “Groove” This Particular Unit STRUGGLES if you try and Go Straight down a Large Bore like our Muzzleloaders, it simply cannot Focus like that. For that type of use a Guy would be Better suited with the LARGEST Camera Borescope he could Find, This one does EXACTLY what I wanted, Up close Ultra fine Detail

https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Side-View-Semi-Rigid-Smartphone/dp/B07TTQF24F

That's some great shooting! My favorite patch material is some unbleached canvas I have that measures around .023"-.024". Mattress ticking is a bit thicker/stronger than pillow ticking with cotton duck being a bit better.

Well Poo,
Barrel shot great, I was impressed.
However, in midst of cleaning I saw a pin hole in the Breach Plug that leaked gas 😢
So, back to TOW it will go for a replacement and hope the replacement shoots as good or better.
Have to call them in the morning to try to get a return label.

49585462598_2a6490e701_z.jpg

Last edited:
That looks funny, what made that round looking spot?

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a drop in with a better RB twist and then having the original barrel bored out to a .62 smooth so I can start turkey hunting with BP. The original barrel is in good shape though, so maybe just buy a sewer pipe donor to be bored out.

They drill the breach plug though that hole and then the hole is filled.

I just recently got a drop n barrle from TOW. Mine was very similar to yours, but 54 cal. Same length and twist. Still playing around with the loads but it's seems to be very accuracte with 80 or 90 gr of Tripple 7 2F.

I bought a used (obviously) Seneca that needed work and found a similar issue. It was bad enough that the wood was gas cut. Drilled the plug out drilled and tapped for a larger plug screw, added some thread lock and inserted to a length not to interfere with the flash channel. A couple of days later I trimmed the screw flush, polished it, stripped the blueing and browned the barrel.

So that barrel I got from TOW. It was made by T/C. Nice barrel. Now I'm a terrible shot, really which I why I prefers shotguns! But off bags I got a 1/3" group at 25 yards using a .530 RB, .015" patch, and 100 grs of T7 2F powder.

Like I said; Nice barrel from TOW.

If it is green mountain barrel the stock is finished by a machinist at TOW. Not sure where the breaches come from

Got my replacement barrel installed.
Fit is better than the first one. The bore is great but not as good as the first one.
Hope to shoot it Tuesday, but it may be raining.

Idaholewis:
What software program for the phone?
I can not get any to download.

Got my replacement barrel installed.
Fit is better than the first one. The bore is great but not as good as the first one.
Hope to shoot it Tuesday, but it may be raining.

Idaholewis:
What software program for the phone?
I can not get any to download.

WIFI image is the App i am currently using, I haven’t tried any other Apps, this is the one that was Recommended with my Borescope. Again, i am using an Apple Ipad (ios)

This one, This App gets a Poor Rating? But it sure works good for me, I haven’t had any issues at all using it
rBjRMSym.jpg

Latest posts

Back