Hawken 54 rebore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hylander

Reaction score
Hawken 54 rebore

Received my 50 Hawken barrel back from Robert. 
Rebored to .54, 1:60, .012 grooves. 
First the good:
Bore looks great, shiney, good definition. 
Loads smooth and easy, I went to 12 loadings without swabbing, no problem.

Now the bad:
No accuracy yet.

Re: Hawken 54 rebore

What load did you use? With the 1:60 twist, you may have to shoot it with a good dose of powder.

I have been working away on my .40 Cal Re Bore from Hoyt, I have it really Close, But stil have Some Tinkering to do.

To be BRUTALLY Honest, I wasn’t impressed with the Bore when i got it Back, ROUGH, VERY ROUGH, You can really see, and Feel the Tooling Marks (2 of us sent Barrels to him, and Both came back the Same) I guess that’s what you get for 120 Bucks? I have around 200 Strokes of Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound Through it, 0000 Steel Wool over a Tight fitting Patched Jag, About 2 Hrs and I’ve got it looking like a Mirror In there now. I personally would not have another one done by him, Unless it was a Smooth Bore. It’s to bad he doesn’t offer a Bore Lapping Service, or Farm it out to Someone else to do. I would Gladly pay Extra for a Nice Hand Lapped Bore

As my Friend bubba.50 Says,  Thats my opinion and Yer Welcome to it :ttups:

FrontierGander said:
What load did you use? With the 1:60 twist, you may have to shoot it with a good dose of powder.
70 and 80gr. of 777FF
The 70 gr. with .020 patches did the best, I did get one 2" 3 shot group at 50yds.
.015 patches blew out, .020 and .022 look great and could be used again.

So after cleaning the bore, I can see tooling marks, so Looks like I will be lapping the bore.

Also I think I may pick up some Goex to try, sure wish someone around here sold Swiss.
I read that 777 has a short shelf life, wonder if that has anything to do with it ?

Yeah I'm not a t7 fan at all. Goes is much better.

Yep, quite often cut rifled bores are rough. i put a tight fitting piece of Scotch Brite on a jag, lube it with WD-40 and change as required: Usually takes about an hour. For polishing the bore i use jeweler's rouge.

A friend brought me over a pound of Schuetzen FF  :D
I will give it a try next outing.

Idaholewis said:
I have been working away on my .40 Cal Re Bore from Hoyt, I have it really Close, But stil have Some Tinkering to do.

To be BRUTALLY Honest, I wasn’t impressed with the Bore when i got it Back, ROUGH, VERY ROUGH, You can really see, and Feel the Tooling Marks (2 of us sent Barrels to him, and Both came back the Same) I guess that’s what you get for 120 Bucks? I have around 200 Strokes of Montana Extreme Bore Polishing Compound Through it, 0000 Steel Wool over a Tight fitting Patched Jag, About 2 Hrs and I’ve got it looking like a Mirror In there now. I personally would not have another one done by him, Unless it was a Smooth Bore. It’s to bad he doesn’t offer a Bore Lapping Service, or Farm it out to Someone else to do. I would Gladly pay Extra for a Nice Hand Lapped Bore

As my Friend bubba.50 Says,  Thats my opinion and Yer Welcome to it :ttups:
This is why I have stopped having barrels rebored, its a hit and miss deal as these guys and their equipment get older.  To me its easier to buy a quality new barrel and replace the one in question.  I like to save old things and put them back in service if within reason, barrels have become an issue that you hear about more and more.  

Nice to see you haven't slowed down Lewis after banging you head on the wall a few time ......  :scratch:   :affraid:

Went to the range yesterday for a trip with the Black MZ and new lube mix.
Much better:
Accuracy got much better.
No blown or burnt patches and better consistency.
The MZ leaves very little residue and clean up is a breeze.
Also I did not have to swab between shots, loading pressure stayed the same

I to had my 50 rebored to 54 smooth, and I had to hand lap also. we will see how it works this weekend .

Back