HAWK I

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flashpoint

Reaction score
Well I found some pictures of Tomahawks that look especially beautiful to me. So I am thinking of having one made but I think these would be very expensive to buy....especially in the photo that has multiple ones displayed. A friend of mine knows a blacksmith that gets together with other blacksmith friends for weekends and they make knives and all sorts of stuff for fun or to try to outdo each other. Anyway, my friend though that his Smith might be interested in making me a Tomahawk that maybe wouldn't be too expensive. So I have a few questions if you don't mind:
1. What kind of steel would be best to hold an edge?
2. What would be a nice weight as I don't want anything too heavy
3. I don't necessarily need to throw it
4. He may not do handles so can I get one on line and then embellish or stain it?
5. Maybe I should send him the handle first?
6. Is there any difference in that the opening in the head should be round or oval?
7. How long should the handle be?
8. Should the head be polished or left with more of a natural forged look?

I don't really need a Tomahawk but my inner self says I do. Who should I listen to?

Thanks, any input would be appreciated. FP
PS. I have no idea as to why the images came up twice?
Tomahawk (1).jpgTomahawk (1).jpg

Well I found some pictures of Tomahawks that look especially beautiful to me. So I am thinking of having one made but I think these would be very expensive to buy....especially in the photo that has multiple ones displayed. A friend of mine knows a blacksmith that gets together with other blacksmith friends for weekends and they make knives and all sorts of stuff for fun or to try to outdo each other. Anyway, my friend though that his Smith might be interested in making me a Tomahawk that maybe wouldn't be too expensive. So I have a few questions if you don't mind:
1. What kind of steel would be best to hold an edge?
2. What would be a nice weight as I don't want anything too heavy
3. I don't necessarily need to throw it
4. He may not do handles so can I get one on line and then embellish or stain it?
5. Maybe I should send him the handle first?
6. Is there any difference in that the opening in the head should be round or oval?
7. How long should the handle be?
8. Should the head be polished or left with more of a natural forged look?

I don't really need a Tomahawk but my inner self says I do. Who should I listen to?

Thanks, any input would be appreciated. FP
PS. I have no idea as to why the images came up twice?
View attachment 1303View attachment 1303
A few days ago, I was on an auction site looking at some hawks. They were original from 18th/19th century. Lowest starting bids ranged from $1500 to $2000. Hickory makes an excellent handle.

This is the closest I've come to owning a "hawk". Ignore all the other blades.
DSC00447.jpg

Latest posts

Back