Have Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CVA Enthusiast

Reaction score
.490 round ball is standard in a .50 CVA However as we know and I have had measured .501 to .503 are the actual diameters. My Question is has anyone tried say .500 and .01 on the ticking?

If you want a good starting point for a snug but not impossibly tight-fitting load, start with a ball about 8 thousandths under the bore size. In your situation, look for something .493 to .495 diameter. You can more easily find the .495 ball commercially and it has good accuracy potential if you work up the proper load using a patch between .10 to .18 thickness. You will probably need a short starter to load this. My 2 cents worth, YMMV, but best of luck in your search.

I have a Pedersoli .50 caliber rifle that I have to use .500 balls with a .010 patch to get any kind of accuracy. With the normal .490 and .495 and .015-.020 patches, accuracy was in the range of 2.5" at 50 yards. With the .500 ball and .010 patch I can get 3/4" groups (from the bench) at 50 yards.

Pedersoli barrels have always been a challenge to get the correct combination for the best accuracy. When still in business we carried odd size molds and cast balls just for the Pedersoli guns. We had customer from all over the front range of Colorado and Wyoming coming in for what was needed for their rifles.

Pedersoli barrels have always been a challenge to get the correct combination for the best accuracy. When still in business we carried odd size molds and cast balls just for the Pedersoli guns. We had customer from all over the front range of Colorado and Wyoming coming in for what was needed for their rifles.

I suspect, that they used their rifling cutters until they were worn out, thus the varying bore dimensions.

So much like the .490 round ball plan at least a day fitting patch/ball then another day shooting to see what works best. WAY COOL I will get the kids involved as well for the learning experience. Gonna be nice having kids involved from casting to shooting I want them to see, feel to experience what work and reward.

So much like the .490 round ball plan at least a day fitting patch/ball then another day shooting to see what works best. WAY COOL I will get the kids involved as well for the learning experience. Gonna be nice having kids involved from casting to shooting I want them to see, feel to experience what work and reward.

That's a good plan that will benefit everyone. :thumbs up:

AWESOME question I have often wondered the same. Now from a revolver stand point over size ball (within reason of course not a .454 in a .36cal) the shaved lead at cylinder designates a "GOOD SEAL" would probably do same in a Rifle. Here is the conundrum, Cylinder say 2-4 inches long Rifle barrel 28 and up long ok Round not seating "GOOD SEAL" or twisting turning on way out gets stuck (sprew?) just to large for length of barrel? Becomes a barrel obstruction? I like the out of box thought you have, as well as some of the comments, I feel they were vague, "DO IT THE WAY WE DO" is to narrow minded an explanation for a broad thinker, Hope it helps I like you climb outside for a while. I search ask the hard questions, it is all in learning.

Latest posts

Back