Knight Disc Questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo

Reaction score
New to muzzleloading and just bought a Knight Disc Extreme .50 and a Nikon Omega. I was probably going to go with Warne base and rings. What height rings do I need? Also what are the advantages or disadvantages of detachable rings?

I was going to use pellets this season. What are some recommended sabots and bullets?

Thanks!

I normally go with a medium height ring. And Warne are great rings. The advantage of them are with medium rings you can leave the sights on. Should something happen to the scope, take the scope off and use the sights. Also it makes it easier for cleaning and just working on the gun should anything happen.

Since you want to shoot pellets, I would start with two of them and some Barnes Expanders or any of the Barnes muzzleloader bullets. Mine also shot shockwaves really well. You have a great rifle there.

I agree, great rifle. Warne are my 1st choice for economical quality rings & bases. The mediums should be fine. I do have some QR type rings. We have some times in WI where you can't have a scope on a M-L. Other than that I would save some $ and get the regular rings.

Why not step step right up & get some Blackhorn 209 powder & a Hornady 250 grn SST(T/C shockwave)? If new to M-L remember to clean the gun soon after shooting, you can go a little while with B209.

muskrat30 said:
I agree, great rifle. Warne are my 1st choice for economical quality rings & bases. The mediums should be fine. I do have some QR type rings. We have some times in WI where you can't have a scope on a M-L. Other than that I would save some $ and get the regular rings.

Why not step step right up & get some Blackhorn 209 powder & a Hornady 250 grn SST(T/C shockwave)? If new to M-L remember to clean the gun soon after shooting, you can go a little while with B209.

Thanks for all the information. What is the advantage of blackhorn over pellets? Unfortunately I am only going to have one free weekend to shoot it before hunting season opens, so I thought pellets would be a little easier.

That cleaning kit would be fine. You could also just get a 'shotgun' cleaning rod & get a 50 cal brass brush & a few other items 'ala cart'. A patch holder & brush are the main items, besides a cleaning agent.

Blackhorn 209 would most likely give you more fps & you could also go a few days without cleaning after shooting. It's important to clean the m-l after shooting, B209 cleans up with regular Hoppes #9 or similar. Usually it's a type of soapy water solution with the others. Either way I leave a light coat of oil on things when I put the gun away for a while. Then just go over with a dry cloth/patch before loading again.

I don't consider loose powder any more of a pain to deal with than pellets. There may be a few minor tools required to measure & hold the powder, but no biggie.

After you get your scope mounted one session should be enough either way to get ready if you are familiar with things. I'd start off at just 25-30 yrds with a larger target to get the scope close. I also use a somewhat reduced charge for the initial sight-in. You can also adjust the scope on just one shot for the 1st few. When you get things close use your planned hunting charges & projectiles. For the M-L I usually want it about dead on to 1" high at 75 yrds. Of course it depends on how/where you hunt. If one has time try other ranges. I'm usually in the 30-75 yrd range where I hunt.

If you were interested the B209 website has some particulars about the powder.

I use Hornady 250 grn SSTs but there are many fine choices out there. Shot placement & how your gun shoots are the most important.

One more thing. Before you shoot take the bolt apart so when it comes time to clean you know what you have to do. Get Q-Tips,pipe cleaners etc so you will be ready to keep it from rusting up.

Latest posts

Back