Has anyone here resurrected a muzzle loading rifle that has been through a fire?

Frontier Muzzle Loading

Help Support Frontier Muzzle Loading:

heelerau

I have an English bore rifle .72 that was burnt in the bushfire that destroyed my home last year. The springs are soft, so is the trigger guard, the barrel has a nice fire blue colour (its Damascus ) but it is not bent or warped. I have a mate who can sort the lock out, and am seeing a custom stock maker later this week who is willing to re stock the old girl. I will have to resolver the under rib, and apart from the lock, and I guess reproof her. Some of my other rifles the barrels got so hot the iron actually burnt so I think they are permanently ruined. The barrel being wrought iron, I should think that should be ok.
Anyone here refurbished a burnt rifle or smoothbore? MY FBG.jpg

quack

No but I’m interested in seeing if anyone has done it. I’ll be watching

heelerau

Looks like I will try, I will document the results, including reproofing the barrel. I am hoping as the barrel is wrought iron, it will not have been damaged like a steel one would have with the heat. The only articles I have found have been all modern smokeless pieces, so a different all together scenario.

heelerau

Dropped the parts off to the stock maker, he has a nice piece of English walnut, reckons he generally get 3 or 4 muzzle loaders a year. Seems to think like me, ( does a bit of gunsmithing) that the wrought iron barrel will likely be ok, but will still proof it before I shoulder it !

heelerau

Trigger guard could be heated to non magnetic and quenched in water, that would Harden it. The tumbler and scare will need to be re hardened, might need some Casnit

heelerau

My custom stock maker has made a good start on restocking my FBG, still has to inlet the cap box, the inletting of the lock is superb The timber is English Walnut. Resized_20220829_153003.JPG Resized_20220829_153003.JPG

Latest posts