.54 Caliber Texas Scout

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wired Wrong

Reaction score
Hey folks, newbie here, looking at a 54 cal Thompson center Texas Scout. Are 54 caliber hunting bullets as easy to find as 50. caliber,and are these rifles okay? Thanks

First off let me welcome you to the forum. Its good to have you here.

The T/C scout is a good rifle. It could have a 1-38 or 1-48 twist rifle in the .54 caliber. Depending on the year. Also they had a #11 ignition. Some people claim the nipples are hard to find anymore. I don't know because I never looked for one.

From what I have read, they are good shooters. Most people shoot conical bullets out of them. BUT I do not own one.

Unlike most current inline systems, the ignition channel and nipple arrangement on the Scout is designed, ported, to limit the amount of flash to the main charge. The theory is that less priming flash and more consistent flash gives better accuracy. I have no luck with pellets. Very inconsistent ignition. Best with black powder but I have had good results with Pyrodex P. RS was not as consistent with a limited number of hangfires. Never tried T7 but the FFFg granulation may work well.

With regard to the nipple, I have read where some people have drilled and tapped the plug to accept a standard nipple. I have not worn out the one that came in my Scout so I haven?t considered trying this.

I know a person with a .50 scout. They were talking one night about how accurate it is with conicals, but that he can not find nipples for it anymore. He was also saying in wet weather it did not like to go off.

I can understand why it does not like pellets. With a #11 nipple there just is not the flame for pellets I would think. Pyrodex RS, Black Powder, all should be good stuff. I will be looking forward to your range report. They sure are a pretty rifle to look at.

I've had a 54 scout rifle for 18 years and a 54 scout pistol for 21.No ignition problems as long as I visually check flash channel before loading,EXCEPT when stored for a long period,then tear down and clean well before loading.Both shoot sabots,conicals,and even round balls well.Pellets are out unless a small amount of loose powder is loaded first which kind of defeats purpose.About 6 weeks ago I purchased a new in package spare breech plug on ebay for around $12 plus shipping,but the last few weeks all of a sudden they're all listed as rare and averaging $50.A great hunting gun,although a little outdated!A lot of fun and quality made.Any questions just ask and I would be glad to help.

Thanks for all the replies. Since I last posted I have bought a 50 cal Scout. Now does anyone know what type scope mounts I need?And BTW it came with a brand new stainless steel nipple,caps,ball and etc.

Weaver 404 still available about $10,or thompson center sometimes on ebay,but nla from tc as far as I know.

stude283 said:
Weaver 404 still available about $10,or thompson center sometimes on ebay,but nla from tc as far as I know.
I wasn't clear that I needed base mounts is the 404 a base mount?Thanks.

404 is a 1 piece base that fits both carbine and handgun.weaver style rings mount directly to it.Thompson sold the same mount reboxed and twice as much.TC also sold a quick detach base which also needed an adapter mounted to reciever and a duo-ring mount which also needed an adapter,which I believe was different.Without an old catalog its very confusing as to which pieces are needed.I would suggest the weaver as I have used on both the rifle and handgun(Recoil severe with 100 grains bp and 1.25 oz. maxiball!) with no problems.

I have a set of TC DUO-RING quick release inetgral rings & base in the closet. I just checked the instruction sheet in the box and it says the TC Scout Carbine uses TC Base Adapter No. 9823. An original TC adapter may be hard to find.

If you call Fox Ridge (1 800 243 4570) they may have the corresponding "Weaver Style Base & Adapter". The ones I got from Fox Ridge for my Renegades cost $39.90 shipped.

Thanks once again for the information. I called Thompson Center and they still carry the bases for the Scout for $12.35 each so I ordered some. The customer service rep I spoke with thought it was a Weaver style. Probably the Weaver 404 as previously stated. Thanks again. :D

I was re-reading your replies. I ordered the bases from T/C will I need base adapters also? I hate to keep on with questions but need your advice. Thanks

You should be all set.If the base you ordered was only $12.35 it is just the weaver one piece base.The duo-ring and/or qr adapters were more than that 20 years ago .Midsouth has the weaver 404 in stock for $7.50.You will just need 1" or 30mm. weaver style rings to fit your scope.
If anyone out there has an old thompson center catalog I would like to know if the duo-ring and quick release setups used the same adapter or were they different?Numbers needed for carbine and handgun with duo-ring.I have a set of duo-rings #9805 marked scout/tcr.The instructions inside say they will fit the handgun directly without an adapter,but they don't look right,hate to take weaver mount off and find they won't work.They also show #9823 as the carbine adapter,which I haven't been able to find.Any help appreciated!THANKS

T/C catalog #19 from 1992 shows the following:

For Quick Release on the carbine use base adapter #9823, base #9981 and rings #9995
For Quick Release on the pistol use base #9980 and rings #9995. No adapter required.
For Duo-Ring on the carbine use base adapter #9823, base/ring #9805
For Duo-Ring on the pistol use base/ring #9805. No adapter required.

Thanks for the info wildshot,
Matches info with duo-ring mount I have.The mount just doesn't look right way too wide and only 3 screws as compared to 4 on the weaver 404 which fits both carbine and pistol.Maybe unit in box was switched,EBAY item.Ho well I'll just have to pull off and check.Thanks again for help!Also is there a way to mark this post for later reference on this forum and how?

I have not had time to shoot it yet but it appears as new still in factory box with manual, 2 extra nipples, caps,balls wrench all for $250 I was pleased. Now if I can get it scoped and get started. Thanks for all the replies and information. : :lol:

I've had a 54 scout rifle for 18 years and a 54 scout pistol for 21.No ignition problems as long as I visually check flash channel before loading,EXCEPT when stored for a long period,then tear down and clean well before loading.Both shoot sabots,conicals,and even round balls well.Pellets are out unless a small amount of loose powder is loaded first which kind of defeats purpose.About 6 weeks ago I purchased a new in package spare breech plug on ebay for around $12 plus shipping,but the last few weeks all of a sudden they're all listed as rare and averaging $50.A great hunting gun,although a little outdated!A lot of fun and quality made.Any questions just ask and I would be glad to help.
What kind of Pyrex do you recommend òrange label or green?

.54 is uncommon/not there in big box stores

Very rare in small mom-n-pop stores

Online suppliers though... balls from wherever Im ordering other stuff (midway, midsouth, grafs) and the Dixie Gun Works 425gr maxi rocks and is cheap (47c/ea with shipping)

Latest posts

Back