Sabots in a Slow Twist

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I picked up some Harvester H5445R sabots in Cabala's bargain cave. Now I don't have a .54 caliber rifle with a rate of twist suitable for sabots, but for $1.50 I just couldn't let that lonesome pack of sabots sit there on the shelf.

Anyway, just for kicks during my Sunday morning shooting session with the .54 Great Plains flintlock I decided to give those sabots a try in the gun's 1:60 twist. I loaded them with .452/250 grain Hornady XPTs. These bullets are 0.664 in length and were the shortest .45 caliber bullets I had in the bullet bag.

I shot only five of them at fifty yards (target below). The group wasn't real tight, but I was a little surprised at how well they did do. I may have to play around with them again with different powder charges and see what happens.

Have any of you guys tried sabot loads in a slow twist barrel?

GP_0094.jpg

I tried them in a couple of my slow twist rifles, but had no luck.

I tried them in a couple of my slow twist rifles, but had no luck.

Do you recall what bullet you used Cayuga? I just searched my reloading supplies and found some .451/185 grain XTPs that I use in my .45 ACP. They are only .528" long. I'm thinking I should try them next time out.

Latest posts

Back