Handguns and deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanshi

Reaction score
I use to hunt deer regularly with various wheel guns; I was a much better shot back then and had good eyes. always used stock revolvers and open sights. Longest kill was a 90 yard buck with a .44 mag. Here are just two of them.
DSC00443.jpg

I still hunt deer on occasion (when raining or snowing cause I can keep the gun covered under my jacket). I use my FA 353 with 180 grain bullets. I have dropped every deer I ever shot at with it, usually withing 25 yards of where they were hit. I prefer to hunt with a muzzleloader, but when bad weather is in the forecast, the 353 comes out.

I used 4 different revolvers in three calibers. 1. S&W 4" M19. 2. S&W 6" 686. 3. a Ruger SBH .44 mag 7.5". 4. Ruger BH 6.5" .41 mag. And yessiree, one shot's all it takes if one's a decent pistol shot. I had at least three DRT's (that I can recall just off-hand) and only one ran more than a few yards and that was a bad hit. But that one was easily followed to where it had dropped about 90 to 100 yards away.

Got this one with one shot at almost 100 yards .Good thing I only needed 1 shot because when the gun went off the scope went instantly black dont know how I could have got a second one .sika.jpg

That happened to me once, Mark; only it was a rifle instead of a revolver. Here's a few more pics of other "pistol collected" deer. Wish I'd had a digital camera back then so I could photograph them all.
DSC00445.jpg

At least i wasnt out anything. Got that scope to tryout from Tasco when I had my gun shop back in the late 70's .It actually performed great for several years only thing I ever shot was Elmer Keith loads in my Super Blackhawk and they were stout for sure . It lasted thru at least 2-3 thousand before it decided to just turn out the lights and go black. Im the same way about wishing J had a digital camera back in the day. Had lots of real pictures but the went bye bye in a divorce many years ago.

I also use my S&W 460 some time.View attachment 2576
Mark, that is a gorgeous pistol. What is the recoil like on it? I have a Ruger Super Redhawk, 44mag, 9-3/8 barrel and Bushnell red dot and chest holster. I've got it zeroed to 50 yds. Planning on putting leupold or nikon scope soon and take to 100 yds. Surprisingly, recoil is not bad at all due to weight. Pistol was bought by my oldest son Stan in '97 for my BD. Like yours, not for CCW👉 !

One of my favorite Contender barrels is my custom E.A. Brown .375 Win Hy. It has a tight chamber and long throat with a .38-55 twist rate and a 12" barrel. It takes reformed 30-30 brass, and I can shoot the 215 grain Barnes bullets into 2.5" all day from the bench at 200 yards. I have taken several deer with it, one at over 140 yards, and all have dropped dead in their tracks.

I also like the 30-30 in the Contender with 130 grain bullets.

Wow! Those are all very nice pistols. I've only used 4 revolvers for deer, I don't like handgun scopes so decided not to use them. I do have a handgun scope and had it mounted on my .41 BH for a while. But I could see much better back then and shot better with the open sights than with the scope. These are my "deer revolvers".
In order of appearance: Ruger .44 mag SBH. Ruger .41 mag BH. S&W .357 M19. S&W .357 M686.
DSC00403.jpg

DSC00325.jpg
DSC00316.jpg
DSC00313.jpg

Mark, that is a gorgeous pistol. What is the recoil like on it? I have a Ruger Super Redhawk, 44mag, 9-3/8 barrel and Bushnell red dot and chest holster. I've got it zeroed to 50 yds. Planning on putting leupold or nikon scope soon and take to 100 yds. Surprisingly, recoil is not bad at all due to weight. Pistol was bought by my oldest son Stan in '97 for my BD. Like yours, not for CCW👉 !
The recoil is less then my Taurus Raging Bull 44 Mag its heavy ,the muzzle flash will blind you at night when hog hunting so you only get 1 shot then takes awhile before you can see again.

Hanshi I have a 686 also open sights and a Taurus 689 which is for sure a 686 clone its just a little thinner in the grip and for me its a better fit and shoots as accurate as the 686. Dont have my Super Blackhawk any more traded it years ago for a Bloodhound shes been well worth it .

The recoil is less then my Taurus Raging Bull 44 Mag its heavy ,the muzzle flash will blind you at night when hog hunting so you only get 1 shot then takes awhile before you can see again.
I'm contemplating taking my Super Redhawk to our gunsmith and have him install a custom muzzle brake. Taking this pistol deer hunting this year.

If you do make sure you have good ear plugs my 460 is LOUD. But so is my Taurus Raging Bull it has a ported barrel .,all my Contender barrels except the 357 Max have factory muzzle brakes also .

I loved handgun hunting,use every thing I had to do it. My favorite was the 357 Herrett great round,heavy was the 45 win mag auto , contenders were easy to carry,always had the Smith 1086 in 10mm as backup. Tried the encores in 308, and in 35 whelen,but for me to much of a good thing. Now a days if I get a chance to go,it's either my Colt "357" in 6",or the S&W 28 in 5"

Back