Newbie Question

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heiner39

Reaction score
Now that I've got the ML...I need the rest of the gear to get rolling. What should I pick up to get shooting and get ready for the fall? I'm going to be picking up some powder pellets (either 777 or IMR Whitehots), some bullets (probably Hornady SST 250 grain), some patches, bore butter, cleaning solvent....any other suggestions? How about some suggestions on cleaning solvents? I'm thinking of just getting the T/C T-17 In-Line Cleaning kit (comes with lube, solvent, breech plug anti-seize grease, patches, extended jag, bore brush and breech cleaning tool)

Any other ideas/suggestions?

cleaing solvent = warm soapy water.

I like rem oil for protection after cleaning. Save the bore butter for patched round balls or conicals.

Have to agree with FG...........
Warm soapy water or even a 50/50 mix of water and Simple Green cleans perfectly with either of the pellets you mentioned.

The 250gr SSTs are a good choice, as are the 300gr version (which I prefer for my Knight).

And any good firearm oil is best for lube and rust protection - Bore butter is best left for boar toast! :lol: Just make sure you patch out the oil before you shoot the rifle.

Oh, for the breech plug...............I HIGHLY recommend using teflon breech plug tape - either the pink stuff marketed by TC or just the solvent-proof teflon tape you can pick up at the local hardware store...........wrap that around the threads of the plug with a little grease on top of the tape and you'll always be happy when removing the plug.

With your new Omega Z5 you have a good choice of things you can shoot. This list is made to give you an idea of what is out there. For instance under powder you need only one. I would get loose powder, but the choice is yours.

Black powder rifle supplies

DECIDE ON THE KIND OF POWDER

? Pyrodex
? Triple Se7en
? Goex
? Black Mag3
? American Pioneer Powder
? Black Horn 209

make sure your rifle can shoot the kind of powder you select. Also decide if you want to shoot pellets or loose powder. Both will work in inline rifles with a 209 ignition system. Loose powder is cheaper. If starting out, I would go with Pyrodex RS or Triple Seven 2f until I establish a load. After that if you want to experiment with other powders, thats where the fun comes in.

TOOLS NEEDED

? See through powder measure
? Cleaning jag
? Cleaning mop
? Patch worm
? Bore brush
? Short starter
? Capper/de-capper
? Loading jag for the projectile
? Nipple pick
? Breech plug removal tool ? these are often included with the rifle. Also what works in some cases are a socket set with long extensions

CLEANING SUPPLIES
? Isopropyl alcohol 91%
? Car windshield washer fluid
? Bore butter or lube for conical bullets
? Gun Oil ? Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL, Breakfree CLP, Montana Extreme gun products.
? Q-tip safety swabs
? Cleaning Patches
? Bore Solvents
1. Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
2. Butch?s Bore Shine
3. M.A.P. ? Murphy?s oil soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide

PROJECTILES

? Sabots for the caliber of rifle
? Bullets to match sabots according to the diameter of the bullet
? Conicals

Like I said, you might not need all of this. Also I recommend a good range rod. I use the one that came with the rifle only for hunting.

So I take it my big bottle of Butch's Gun Oil that I use on my rifles will be good enough as a rust preventative.

Interesting that regular household cleaners can clean the bore between shots. Once I'm done at the range and I'm going to give the gun a good cleaning will Butch's Bore Shine be good (I have a bunch of that kicking around too)?

Sorry for the simplistic questions....I'm very new to this and want to ensure my gun lasts me for a long time. I'm so excited to get out and do some shooting. Friday can't get here quick enough...lol.

Butch's Bore Shine for Black Powder is a great cleaner. It will take the fouling out of a rifle right now. One simple cleaner I use is a mix 50/50 of isopropyl alcohol and car windshield washer fluid. Others just use Windex, or glass cleaner from the Dollar Store brand. They will pull fouling real well and are cheap to use.

Back