Create a West Virginia Primitive Weapon Hunting Season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This appears to be an effort by Traditional Muzzleloading hunters to have their own season. I know so little about the State and their hunting patterns that this might work. Especially if the impact on the deer herd would not be effected.

I personally see no need for it. My view is, no one forces me to use an inline rifle in our muzzleloading season. I am not competing with anyone and if I want to hunt with a flintlock, then that is a personal choice I make.. not the State of Wisconsin.

MQ32shooter said:
And exclude scoped, 209 primed inlines from this season, I think not!

"Our goal is to create a new season for those who prefer to hunt in a traditional"

I understand that, but, why not request the current season for the "traditionalists" and let either/or have the good hunting early before the deer are extremely wary. I have hunted 3 days this week and have not seen very many deer at all, the WV deer herd has really declined in the last 4 years. I really do not like to drive deer, preferring to take a stand trying to catch them moving naturally. Usually, the only way to take a deer this late in the year is by driving or "pushing" them- I would love to see traditionalists get their own season but to have a petition and say things like "as to not interfere" while requesting one of the best times of the year to hunt unmolested deer is horsehockey! Now, ask me how I really feel :wink:

got to presevre tradition. I'd like one of those seasons here in colorado myself but i doubt that will ever happen.

Just a question Frontier Gander--and a sincere one it is because I don't know the answer. What does another hunter's choice of weapon have to do with how you choose to hunt? How does it affect your attempt to preserve tradition?

Would you be upset if you were hunting with a sharpened stick and some hunter with a big cannon came by and shot 20 rounds at the deer you were stalking deer, 3 miles away and missed, ruining your hunt?

In sure if it were a special inline season some of you'd be all over it :wink:

Yes, I know I would. I was hunting with my uncle and cousin this morning and we were actually wondering why WV chooses to run its muzzleloading season so late, KY has early and late muzzleloader seasons ( with NO restrictions to my knowledge). Our conditions are extremely tough, my uncle has hunted for the last 3 years ( late comer to the sport) during our muzzleloading season and has yet to fire a shot at a deer. The argument about the pointy stick and cannon booming 20 times is a bit lame. If you are in the woods in WV in our muzzleloading season and you are stalking a deer that you can see, the chances of someone else getting more than one shot at it with an inline mz are slim. If you choose to use a traditional muzzleloader, you do it because you want to. Please do not feel like you are entitled to better hunting because you CHOOSE to place a self imposed limit on yourself because of romance, tradition etc. Include inlines in the petition and it would probably go real far.

:lol: you must not have read the info.

2. Is separate and distinct from the current muzzleloading season.
3. Does not interfere with the current muzzleloading season.

No, I read it and understood it.
1) requesting traditional season, during the rut ( which would really screw up bow season), before the 2 wk firearms season, which is followed by the 1 wk antlerless season and then the current muzzleloading season.

2) "Our goal is to create a new season for those who prefer to hunt in a traditional manner and to not interfere with the current muzzleloading season"

worded in a way, to make you feel like a traditionalist is bothersome to other muzzleloading enthusiasts.

A big problem with adding a speciality season such as primitive, is some other person's use of the outdoors is going to be you infringed on. There is limited time and opportunities for people to use the outdoors and one does not deserve special consideration over another.

Would you be upset if you were hunting with a sharpened stick and some hunter with a big cannon came by and shot 20 rounds at the deer you were stalking deer, 3 miles away and missed, ruining your hunt?

Frontier Gander while I can understand your desire for a primitive season, that analogy is ridiculous. The issue is can traditional shooters be in the same playing field as inline shooters. And the answer is yes they can. All you do is limit optics. If you limit optics you take away the advantage of long distance shooting. Both can be loaded in similar speeds. Granted inlines might have a ignition advantage, but really if you know your traditional rifle, that is not always true either.

What it really boils down to IMO is one group wants to be treated special. They want an advantage or special treatment over others. If people hunt with traditional or inline, I can not see what is the difference. We have a muzzleloader season. It is then up to me to decide how I want to enjoy it.

Seriously....Frontier....if your goal is to "preserve tradition", as you said above, again, how does what someone else use harm that? The "pointed stick" vs. the cannon does not away from your ability to preserve tradition.

So...and again, I ask, because I want to know..... ???? Is it to preserve tradition or is it to have a separate season that won't be "trounced upon" by someone using a "bigger weapon"?

Or doesn't it just lead to:

1. conical only season
2. roundball only season
3. .45 cal roundball only season
4. pointed stick season
5. atlatl season

???

If my goal is to preserve tradition, I will gladly hunt with my sharpened stick regardless of cannons around me....

FG

Explain to me what I can do better with an inline ML that I can not do with one of my Renegades.

And also explain to me why if you choose to hunt with a sidehammer/flintlock - why I would bother you hunting with a inline? It certainly does not bother me when I choose to hunt with a Renegade and someone else chooses to hunt with an inline. Do not use range as the offset because it is not.They both go boom! with about the same amount of noise.

I choose to hunt with a ML all year now here in Idaho - even during regular rifle season - it matters not to me that my partner and other hunting buddies choose to hunt with centerfires. I do my thing they do their thing.

If you want to hunt traditionally - do so anytime you want to during the given season what ever that may be...

wow i can not believe i am hearing this!! A chance to add ANOTHER season, extend your hunting time and i hear complaints? Daaaaaaang!!

I'd love a traditional season in my home state. You know why? Not many people these days will pick up a sidelock/flintlock/smoothbore! You'd have the woods all to your lonesome. That to me sounds like a dream.

Im glad you have it in your state and like it. I hope it stays that way, but not in my state unless EVERYONE is included. I took my muzzleloader (yes, it is a modern inline) during our firearms season this year and really enjoyed the experience. I do not wish everyone to do the same though, it was a challenge I took upon myself for my own gratification.

frontier gander said:
I'd love a traditional season in my home state. You know why? Not many people these days will pick up a sidelock/flintlock/smoothbore!

I admit that I've only been to CO to elk hunt once, but in my one trip there I'm guessing about 90% of the hunters I seen w/a ML were using a sidelock. I bet I seen about 20-30 people that week as well. I don't think you'd see much of a reduction in hunters. JMO

I think the others make a good point though. I could have taken one of my sidelocks or one of my inlines and my range of killing something would have been the same. Wouldn't have changed a thing.

season

No. In PA the traditional flintlock only season runs from 12/26 to 1/16 i beleive. It is Flintlock (bow and small gamers as well) only no inline and i can shoot buck or doe. If i don'r score a buck, my regular tag turns into a doe tag. I must have a muzzle license. In October PA has a Inline season, Doe only no bucks! I must have a muzzle license. It is the most ridiculous seasons and restrictions imaginable. If you shoot a front stuffer, you should be allowed ot shoot what you like! Now that being said, I bought a flintlock just so I could hunt this late season. I really, really enjoy Flintlock shooting and i know i will like hunting that second season. I always enjoyed the snow and bird hunting.
My inline is useless in PA, it is a season I won't hunt because of that doe only restriction, make no sense. This idea of traditional hunt and going back in time ... if that is what you all want then it should be mandatory to wear only clothing of that period! That includes gloves, boots/moccasins hats and that is your restriction. Otherwise I don;t want to here that bull about traditionalists etc. I am probably going to be selling off my CF guns and going Muzzle loaders only this year. But i am not doing it w/ the idea of playing mountain man, I am using my Gore and 1000 gramm thinsulates boots and hand warmers. There is enough room in the woods for all, don't squeeze out one group over another. But if you do, make it traditional guns, garb and hunting all the way, not half way! Other woise the Traditional Huinting theme does not hold weight!

I have no problem with adding an additional season. The trouble is when I look at the time schedule for Wisconsin... with all the other people out there hunting, I just do not see the time. Unless they want us to hunt in the very first part of the year. Then there are no horn hunters because they have been dropped. And this year, all I would have to do is find a deer yard, and walk in and shoot one and drag it out.

If you let them hunt early rut or pre rut.. I will bet you two dollars to a doughnut the bow hunters would hang the DNR out to dry. (which might not be a bad thing anymore.)

Due to the timing, wanting a special season during prime time, I say no way. I might be apt to support one tagged to the end of the season. Do it like Pennsylvania does and have it after Christmas.

Latest posts

Back