Setting up the Omega for Coyotes?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stiletto

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm setting up a .50 cal TC Omega Z5 with a 3-9x40 scope to use for coyotes here on public land in Georgia, where we can use any muzzleloader (scopes are OK) during all open seasons except archery only. I plan on using BH209 and saboted bullets. Range will likely be anywhere from 30 to 150 yards.

Yotes are relatively small targets, so my main concern is accuracy, as I believe this .50 cal ML has more than enough killing power for even the biggest yotes I encounter at these ranges, even with less than full-house loads. To get started, I picked up a couple of bags of TC Cheapshots.

I could use your thoughts on some high accuracy loads for an Omega using saboted bullets and BH209, and also your thoughts on these points:

- What kind of accuracy are y'all seeing from the Omega using the TC Cheapshots?
- I can get 1000 JHP pistol bullets from Hornady due to a special offer on a LNL press I bought. I'm deciding between the Hornady .44 cal (.430) 240 gr HP/XTP and the .45 cal (.451) 230 gr HP/XTP. My gut instinct is to go with the .44 cal 240 gr, but I was wondering if folks have been seeing better accuracy with the .45 cal bullet in Omegas?

- What sabots would you recommend I start with for the Omega Z5? I'm thinking the Harvester Crushed Rib, or the EZ loading sabots from Knight, MMP and others would be good because I've read the Omega has a tight bore. Am I correct, or should I look at something else? Anyone have really good accuracy results to report using any of these sabots in an Omega with the bullets I mentioned above?

- Any recommended 209 primer for use with BH209? I know to not use the ripoff muzzleloading primers, but has anyone seen better results in an Omega using BH209 with one brand or type of 209 primer versus the others?

- I'm not looking for magnum charges, but I would appreciate any input you might have on what charge volume or weights of BH209 I should start with for best accuracy. Again, the intended game are coyotes.

Sorry for the long first post, thanks for reading this far. Appreciate anything you can tell me that would save me time and money!
John

I would try the 200 grain Shockwaves. Normally out of Thompson Center products they shoot well and should be a good long range projectile.

200gr shockwaves with 90 to 100gr BH209 will shoot very accurately and fast out of my Omega Z5. They flat destroy coyotes with their ability to expend energy quickly on game.

Appreciate the tip on the 200 gr Shockwaves guys, I keep hearing good reports of high accuracy with those bullets. I will definitely pick up a pack to compare against the Cheapshots and some 240 gr .44 cal HP/XTPs Hornadys in Harvester, Knight and MMP sabots.

Is my accuracy using 240 gr .44 cal HP/XTP or 240 gr Hornady Lead SWCHPs going to be too poor in an Omega for coyote hunting at 50 - 150 yards? Should I even bother? Only reason I ask is that I have a ton of .44 cal bullets on the reloading bench since I own that caliber revolver, be nice if I could use some of those.

Though I don't shoot it out of an Omega, my yote load is a 200g XTP pushed by 100g of Blackhorn. That's a flat shooting load and is more than enough bullet to get the job done. (Some people are using that load for deer) Someone else suggested the 200g shockwave. That's another good option. Get somethign that shoots flat. Those jokers come in quick and you don't have time to think about hold over. MMP is the sabot that comes in the shockwaves. Some find them too difficult to load. (myself included) if so, use the new Harvester 50/40 Crush Rib. In my testing they're acutally more accurate than the MMP anyway and load A LOT easier.

The Shockwave would be a better bullet past 125yds. It will shoot flatter and buck wind better. Theres no reason a 44 cal pistol bullet wont work great for shots less than 150 or 125yds. My omega shoots more accurate with the shockwaves, however thats with the supplied sabots that come with each bullet. Experimenting with different sabots could change things a little. Get a few different types of sabots and try the xtps in them, if they are accurate they should work fine.

I would also vote for the non magnum XTP in your favorite weight. I think it mushrooms easier on thinner skinned game.

Jerry

The only load combo I have seen shoot sub MOA 3-5 shot groups @ 100 yards out of my Omegas has always been a 250 gr Shockwave with 100 gr of T7 loose powder.
Ive never tried the 200 gr Shockwaves, so I cant speak for them.
I see no reason why you couldnt hunt coyotes with the Omega. I have two Omegas, one is an all camo version, the other is a Z5 black/blue version. Both rifles shoot sub MOA @ 100 yards with the above load, and I wouldnt feel uncomfortable at all coyote hunting with either one of them.
As a matter of fact, I have recently taken up yote hunting and have been using my Z5 (other is out for repair). Havent been able to call anything in yet, but if and when it does happen I would have no doubts on pulling the trigger out to 150 yards on a coyote with either rifle.
I had originally bought a Savage .223 but it had to go back due to an unforeseen financial situation, so I figured...why not use the Omegas for more of a challenge? Thats the main reason we hunt with an inline, is it not?

stiletto

From both my Omega and a Knight - I shoot .40/200 gr XTP's at 'yotes' and 'peepers' (ground squirrels). That little XTP is super accurate and they are cheap to shoot. 10 to 150 yards makes know difference.

I am shooting 110 grains of T7-2f right @ 2200 fps.

The Xtp's are a inexpensive way to shoot and they are accurate. They work well on whitetail also...

I shoot the 250 grn shokwaves, with 100grns of pyrodex, have shot two deer didn't get pass thrus,however they are very accurate. Shooting them from aTraditions inline buckhunter. Yotes would not be a problem with them, most likely the 200grns would be fine from the Omega. I shoot the Cheap shots from my T/C New Englander with 90grns Pyrodex they are deadly, Cheap Shots are 240 grn, I think.

I shoot .40/200 gr XTP's over 110 grains of BH209, I am dead on sited at 150 yards.

Bucker said:
I shoot .40/200 gr XTP's over 110 grains of BH209, I am dead on sited at 150 yards.

What sabots and rifle? I am also going to set up my omega for yotes after the deer seasons over, i think the challange of it is going to be great!!

set up

Pro Hunter and i use the CR 40/50 sabots form Harvester. I made a mistake on that XTP, it is a a 10mm bullet. I use same on deer successfully. Plenty fast and you will turn a dog inside out w/ that rig. I will be setting my buddies omega up 1st weekend in November w/ same rig however I will start dialing it at 90 grains BH209 and find the sweet spot. I will then increase 5 grains a load.

All my coyotes have been killed with either a 240 grain .430 XTP or a 250 grain SST/Shockwave-my deer and hog hunting loads. My longest coyote kill was at over 250 yards with my Encore. Like to shoot coyotes at water holes when they are facing me. When the bullet hits them they seem to inflate for a micro-second and then deflate.

Latest posts

Back