BH questions

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesheba

Reaction score
Grain for grain is BH equivilant to 777? How many rounds have you shot before cleaning the bore becomes necessary? I finally tried it this weekend. Neat stuff!!

It is equivalent to or a bit more than 777 FFF It is 100 to 200 fps faster than 777-FF.
It is an excellent powder, the one thing to watch for is that dirty primers will carbon up the breach plug between the 209 seat and the touch hole.
Lee

I have put over 30 rounds through without swabbing once without any ignition problems, difficulty seating the bullet, or change in accuracy. The breech plug was a bear to clean after that though.

One thing I have heard people doing is to take a 1/8" drill bit to clean out the torch hole. I dont like to do that. I clean it the best I can with Hoppes and wire brush. Then I will take a Q-tip and tear off the cotton end. There will still be some cotton on it and it cleans out the fouling really well. It fits perfectly

hjbuys said:
I have put over 30 rounds through without swabbing once without any ignition problems, difficulty seating the bullet, or change in accuracy. The breech plug was a bear to clean after that though.
Use windex with vinegar! I used hoppes the first time and it took a long time to clean. I used windex the second time and the fouling came right off without scrubbing.

hjbuys said:
Use windex with vinegar! I used hoppes the first time and it took a long time to clean. I used windex the second time and the fouling came right off without scrubbing.

I can shoot without swabbing until the cows come home in my rifles. Never have to swab, but like was mentioned, the breech plugs flam channel in my Knights require cleaning after 30-35 shots. I think I could shoot forever in my H&R/NEF rifles with the Metrics Unlimited breech plug, because they don't have that long flame channel for the carbon to build up in.

Back