To fire a primer or not to,that is the question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman1

Reaction score
Went to the woods this evening for a sit in one of my blinds.
I went in earlier today and trimmed the lane out to 100 yards,it's mostly Palmettos.
I got in about 4:00 and got to it.
It was just about over so I started putting my gear away for the walk out.
Took off my mask and gloves,put on my hat and switched on my headlamp. That's when I hear it,you know "the stomp" I turned off the light (it is MUCH darker in the blind than outside of it) and slowly looked up.there she was,a mature doe at about 125 yards staring into the black hole of my blind.
I put the Kodiak on the shooting rest and took aim,I could see but the light was not sticking around for long.I did my breathing and squeezed the trigger.
POP---------------wait for it-----------------BOOM
HANG FIRE
I felt myself move the rifle just after the initial POP
After the smoke cleared I turned the light back on and reloaded.
I walked out to the site and did a through search,I found no blood but I did scare the $h!t out of her,there was a fresh smokin pile right there.
As I walked back to the blind to get my gear I checked the cut real well for any sign,I didn't find any deer sign but I did find where my bullet went through some palmettos that escaped my trimming.I'll take pictures of them tomorrow,I'm going back in the daylight to make sure there was no hit.

I will have to take the blame for the hang fire.
After my range session with the gun I did my usual cleaning and oiling. I cleaned the BP also.Before I loaded for the hunt I ran three windex patches followed by three dry,both sides.
What I DID NOT DO was fire a primer before I loaded,I guess there was some rem oil in the plug.

Oh well, live and learn,I'm just glad I didn't wound the animal.
Guess I need to do mre trimming.

Yup! I did the same thing years ago! :( I now run a patch down the bore,to wipe out the lube,then turn it over and run it back down the barrel, to the breech plug. Put a primer in the gun, and fire it. Then I remove the burnt patch,swab a clean patch in the boar,and load it! Never had a miss fire since. I allways look for the ram rod to move forward when firing the cap also. Ron

rks1949 said:
Yup! I did the same thing years ago! :( I now run a patch down the bore,to wipe out the lube,then turn it over and run it back down the barrel, to the breech plug. Put a primer in the gun, and fire it. Then I remove the burnt patch,swab a clean patch in the boar,and load it! Never had a miss fire since. I allways look for the ram rod to move forward when firing the cap also. Ron

Great advise Ron.I will try that.

It will never let you down Scott! :D I've left my gun loaded for the whole season (7 days here in Il.) and it has never failed to fire,without any problems. Your location looks great,I'm sure you will have more shots comming up! Good Luck! Ron

I always pop a primer after cleaning too, it clears the breech plug of any crud that you pushed into it when you swabbed, and the sparks out of the barrel are an indicator that the breech plug is clear.

Scott, at least it wasn't that 10 pointer that's going to come out for you one day...

I always pop a primer after cleaning too, it clears the breech plug of any crud that you pushed into it when you swabbed, and the sparks out of the barrel are an indicator that the breech plug is clear.

Excuse my thickheadedness,but wouldn't that leave you with a dirty barrel after you just cleaned it?

It would, but It would assure me that the next shot will go bang, as that is what the original question was about,no?

cell said:

Excuse my thickheadedness,but wouldn't that leave you with a dirty barrel after you just cleaned it?
You do this "before" you go hunting,and after fireing a cap in the gun,you run a dry patch in the bore to clean up the primer fouling,then load it. Ron

I run a couple of tight patches down the bore all the way and let it go at that. Have not had a hangfire since on game since 2001. That hangfire in the rain with my CVA gun cost me rhe biggest buck deer i ever saw west of the Mississippi river.

Yep, it's happened to me and my dad both. After those experiences, we've learned to ALWAYS pop a primer (or 2) to clear the flash hole before we load the rifle to go hunting.

cell wrote:
Quote:

You do this "before" you go hunting,and after fireing a cap in the gun,you run a dry patch in the bore to clean up the primer fouling,then load it. Ron

Gotcha...like I said thick headedness.

cell said:
cell wrote:
Quote:

Gotcha...like I said thick headedness.

No problem Cell
My thinking is.
I shot 20 - 30 shots at my last range session shooting BH 209.
Each shot fired with no swabbing of the BBL or cleaning of the BP.
So my assumption is that after I clean the gun,which I am anal about,it wont hurt a thing for me to pop a cap or two,especially using Rob's method of putting a patch down there with the ram rod on it to keep the cap fouling mostly on the patch ond very little in the bore.
I don't believe this will hurt a thing as evidence of my deer kill yesterday.

Years ago I lost a 12 point by not popping a cap. It walked in without seeing me to about 20 feet. When it cleared the tree I shot and my Hawken only went pop. I think both he and I had the same look of suprise on our faces. I held there praying for a hangfire but no.
Ever since then I AlWAYS pop a cap.

No primer for me, my method works everytime so far.

2rqbtlh.jpg

Rifle was sighted in 2" high at 100 with 300 grain XTPs so I had to get out and check where these Speers were going to hit. Good enough for me.

Shooting those dern near killed me. This flu has had a hold on me now for nearly two weeks and I thought I was getting better. Almost passed out right at the bench so thought I would just call that good.

I guess I'm different :roll: ...I dont put oil in any form in my plugs.What they , and the barrel, get after cleaning is a light touch of Hoppes Number 9.An alcohol patch takes care of the bore and in over 5000 rounds fired from sidehammers and inlines I've never had a misfire.It seems to me that popping a primer , or cap, introduces fouling into an area that you want squeeky clean and unrestricted by anything.Just a thought...

Confederate rifleman said:
I guess I'm different :roll: ...I dont put oil in any form in my plugs.What they , and the barrel, get after cleaning is a light touch of Hoppes Number 9.An alcohol patch takes care of the bore and in over 5000 rounds fired from sidehammers and inlines I've never had a misfire.It seems to me that popping a primer , or cap, introduces fouling into an area that you want squeeky clean and unrestricted by anything.Just a thought...

Thank's C.R.
This is exactly what I was after with this thread
I want to hear all sides and how everyone else does it cause IDON'T KNOW!!!!!!!

I usually don't keep my breech plugs in my guns. I put them in just before I go shooting. My routine is to swab with alchohol to get the oil out and then a dry patch or two. Then I put the breech plug in and go hunting or shooting. So far no misfires because I always make sure the fire channel is clear. Works for me anyway.
Art
PS Get your rear end to the doctor Rich

Latest posts

Back