Sabots

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakx

Reaction score
A lot of guys like the short MMP with Hornady 300 XTP's. Why are the short one's preferencial over the longer ones? What makes them so much more accurate over the sbaots with longer petals? Surface bearing area? Because they shed from the bullet quicker? Enlighten me.

The short ones are long enough to fully enclose the straight sides of a 300 grain bullet. There's no need to have long sabot petals extending beyond the point where the ogive begins. The long sabots are used to fully surrond long bullets of 400 grains and above. I've used both short and long sabots with 300 grain XTPs and Gold Dots and didn't see any difference in accuracy.

In a tight bored rifle like the Triumph, the MMP short black seems to be sabot of choice as they do slide down the bore with a snug fit but not too snug where you would bend your rod plus they give excellent accuracy and good velocity.
The black sabots supplied with the SSTs are just about impossible to force down the bore of both the Triumphs I have in the house. I am sure the MMP short black would not be the best choice for a larger bored rifle.

hakx said:
A lot of guys like the short MMP with Hornady 300 XTP's. Why are the short one's preferencial over the longer ones? What makes them so much more accurate over the sbaots with longer petals? Surface bearing area? Because they shed from the bullet quicker? Enlighten me.

Usually..the long petal sabots are NEVER necessary. Longer petals can even wedge between the ramrod/bore and pull the bullet off the powder charge.

As far as accuracy goes...It really depends on the muzzleloader, muzzleloader bore diameter, and bullet diameter. And some muzzleloaders just seem to like one sabot over another for no reason.

hakx

I would say that i use more MMP than Harvesters, but there are times the Harvester work better-easier...

If you look at this picture you can see that the HPH-24 really is not much longer than the Harvester short black.

LehighLength.jpg

Often it was thought that using the Harvester Short Black might be easier to load because of less surface area on the bore especially with longer bullets. I personally want the more surface area any time i can get it, as it offers more area to grab the lands and grooves especially when shooting a stiff charge.

I think the real difference comes in the different formulas used to make the sabot. To me and i really do not know the MMP seems more pliable and gives a little easier especially in cold weather. May just be my imagination though.

Back