Got some bear oil today

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s a DANDY!! BIG Congrats on him 👍

We don’t get many BIG Black Bear here in North Idaho, 100-150 pounders are the Norm, a 250 Pound Bear would be Considered a DANDY Here.

We don’t get many BIG Black Bear here in North Idaho, 100-150 pounders are the Norm, a 250 Pound Bear would be Considered a DANDY Here.
I coudn't believe all the fat Jonathan got off that bear. The head alone had to weigh in the area of 30+ pounds.

Outstanding! That is a very nice bear. Great color. Please post story when you get time. Also, how to you render the bear oil from the fat. I've always just put in a pot on the gas grill and melted real slow , clean it and then mix with some bees wax and put in jars then refrigerate. I use it on my Osage Selfbows for finish and tried on patching material but it is just so so.
Good shooting.
Mike

Good morning Lewis....now on Patriot Thread😇.

Last edited:
Outstanding! That is a very nice bear. Great color. Please post story when you get time. Also, how to you render the bear oil from the fat. I've always just put in a pot on the gas grill and melted real slow , clean it and then mix with some bees wax and put in jars then refrigerate. I use it on my Osage Selfbows for finish and tried on patching material but it is just so so.
Good shooting.
Mike
like you, I render the fat slowly on the stove in a "wife" approved pot, skim off any solids, and pour through a small hand held strainer, mix in bee's wax from my neighbor, and sweet oil. Amount of bees wax depends on whether I'll be using it at the hunting camp in the winter or use any other time. I pour/mold it into small blocks in an old ice cube tray, andI use it on all my muzzleloaders (none are factory), metal- wood parts, and leather, including my shooing bags, moccasins, patches, edge of my shogun wads, etc. I used to use rendered deer fat to waterproof my Jefferson boots and moccasins, however we all noticed a "peculiar" smell while I warmed my feet at the fire, so now use the bear fat. The deer tallow will do a good job on water proofing canvas or linen as was done on sails, I have a long bow and two flat bows I just started using it on now. Good stuff, worked for GGG grandpa, and still works for this one, you have a nice day!

Latest posts

Back