BH209 and a fouling shot

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpcollins

Reaction score
I've always shot from a clean barrel. With my MK85, I'd pull the plunger and breech, and then push everything out from back to front - kind of a pain but I was happy with the results. Now I'm shooting BH209 in my BC but is everyone using a fouling shot first? AND - for those that do, do you leave the barrel fouled during the hunting season? Whether it's just soot or not I'd hate to have that in the barrel for a couple of weeks.

I read an interesting post on another forum where someone using 100 gr of BH209 under a 250 grain bullet, found the velocity was always higher on the first shot from a clean barrel compared to the rest of the string from successive shooting. Just wondering if anyone else had the same experience. His listed velocities for this as follows:

1905 fps
1829 fps
1827 fps
1826 fps

Back in the old days, it always seemed like velocities increased due to the fouling from the the powders used back then. Thanks.

I don't think there is a right or wrong here, but I always fire a fouling shot with blackhorn 209 before going hunting. I leave the barrel fouled for the entire hunt. I clean it when the hunt is over if it will be several weeks before I hunt again. Just can't leave it fouled for longer than that.

I have a satinless barrel, and have hunting in Colorado for a week in rain and snow and not had a problem with leaving it fouled.

barrel

I fould my barrel w/ 3 primers. I sue cci209m. Never had a problem. Seems my Pro Hunter shoots tighter groups w/ BH209 if I have a fouled barrel.

Re: barrel

Bucker said:
I fould my barrel w/ 3 primers. I sue cci209m. Never had a problem. Seems my Pro Hunter shoots tighter groups w/ BH209 if I have a fouled barrel.

+1

I pop 3 primers. If im really trying to be exact i run a dry patch after the 3rd primer to "even out" the fouling from the primers. Plus check the flash hole for day light after the fouling shots.

If you leave any oil in the flash hole area the fouling can get nasty with the mag primers. Just a me thing i guess, i make sure that first shot goes bang.

There is no right or wrong and different guns may be different.
I use Blackhorn ever since some one sent me the first can, I found out that the way I normally shot with just a wipe or two to get the oil out of the barrel made the first shot go out of the group high and left.
I tried many things with my Triumph and my Endeavor before I found a procedure that put that first shot right in the group.
I wipe with alcohol and dry patches the fire 2- 209s then clean the barrel with my regular mix of alcohol and #9 then fire 2- 209s. This with my guns loads and the oil I use for the barrel has worked very well.

The jury is still out for me
I plan on doing some testing when I feel well enough
I did have some hang fires last season but I think it was my fault
we had some cold weather and I was bringing my loaded gun in my buddies house where it was very warm

Ron on this forum taught me to pop a primer with a patched ramrod in the bbl
it cleans the bp and keeps the bbl unfouled
I have found with BH 209 my first few shots hold the tightest group
but like I said I want to test different methods

With my stainless Omega I wipe the bore with a couple dry patches and fire a couple primers to make certain the breech plug and bore are dry and oil free and I fire a fouling shot. This first fouling shot is always "out" a couple inches. After the fouling shot I fire a couple more shots to check my scope and point of impact and leave my rifle fouled for the duration of the hunt. In the past couple of deer seasons in PA and Iowa I have left my rifle fouled for up to three weeks and have had no corrosion problems, no ignition problems and no accuracy problems.

Essentially I treat my Omega with Blackhorn 209 the same way I treat my centerfire rifles with smokeless powder--just before the hunt I check my sights with a couple shots and then I go hunting. No problem.

I agree there can be some minor difference for that 1st shot from a clean barrel. On the other hand I like to keep my M-L clean for as long as possible & my average shot is about 40-60 yrds on a standing deer. For that I can deal with the possible slight variation. I make sure the insides are bone dry but don't so much as even fire a primer before the hunt(B209). I took 9 deer last Fall hunting 2 states(lots of anterless tags, pvt land) with my Knight. It's been working for me.

Latest posts

Back