left my omega unclean for 3 months before cleaning

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzyman

Reaction score
i tried a little experiment since switching over to blackhorn this year. i did not clean my omega i use for hunting from the time i sighted it in in early october, all through hunting season until i cleaned it this morning. i don't really target shoot this gun so i only have about 40 rounds through it this year. i shot and hunted with it in temps from the 60's down through the upper teens., taking one buck without any problems whatsoever. i was a little anxious to see the effect 3 months of fouling had on the bore. a little hoppes #9 and the bore is shiny new, not even a hint of corrosion. blackhorn is unbeliveable! i'm sold

All I will say is.. your rifle do what you want. But if that had gone the other way and you found the bore rusted or pitted, would you be upset at the powder, or yourself?

There are powders that slow the corrosion clock way done and others accelerate it. It really makes no difference to me. If I shoot my rifle on Monday afternoon, its clean by Monday night. To me that's just part of the sport. And I am not saying I am right and someone else is wrong for not cleaning them the same day. I'm just saying that's the way I have always done it, and will always do it.

That's very impressive that a powder can do that.

I am glad it worked out for you. I am too old school in this matter. I would not be able to sleep at night knowing I left powder in my rifle. I just know I would hear the rust forming in it as I tossed and turned all night. :lol:

Leaving powder in the rifle isn't a problem. Leaving fouling in the barrel might be.

I'm going with Cayuga on this one. I noticed the copper Hornady FPB tarnished and turned nearly black from just touching the powder, after 5-days of contact. Very similar to what Pyrodex does. It just doesn't seem respectful to a fine weapon to ride her hard and put her away wet!

I did the same type of "test" last summer by shooting my Omega with BH209 for approx. 25 rds. and leaving it dirty for 4 weeks. Cleaned up fine with no signs of corrosion.

This gave me a lot of confidence in the powder--this past fall I knew I could fire my fouling shot, load to hunt, and know that my Omega would not be a rust ball in a few days. I'm sold on BH209.

We have seven T/C's....four stainless and three blue...sighted them in the last week of Oct...left 'em dirty and hunted with them in all kinds of crummy weather. Started cleaning them one at a time, one a day for the past week...the bores were all spotless, shined like new after a couple patches soaked with Hoppes. The breach plugs were a pain, prolly due to the magnum primers I used (Federal 209A)...by the way, thanks to MM contributors for the tip about using a 1/8" drill bit on the breach plug...worked like a charm. In years past I always felt like I had to clean my gun as soon as I shot it...which usually meant a marathon cleaning session the second night of firearms season (Dad gets to clean everyone else's gun...something about wanting something done right and doing it yourself). Cleaning a few muzzleloaders after a weekend of hunting hard, dressing deer,butchering, etc. never did appeal to me. With BH209 that's no longer necessary, and that made this hunting season alot more enjoyable for me.

My two 45cal SS Disc Elites, were sighted in and left fowled first week in Nov08. We shot 8 deer collectively this season without cleaning, till 03 Jan 09... :shock: had left guns loaded IN thier cases--in cold garages inbetween hunts :shock:

The bores cleaned up like new! 8)

BH209..It IS the Real Deal :D 8)

lane said:
BH209..It IS the Real Deal :D 8)

very much so in my one season of testing and hunting with it. cant imagine I would ever even consider going back to 777 or the ice age of pyrodex

At $9.00 a lb the Pyrodex is hard to give up, and it works perfectly in my #11 percusion inlines. I hope to use the BH209 in my Omega. Maybe BassPro will have another sale on it.

As ggod as BH-209 is I can bet you Hodgdon powders is working quickly to develope a substitute powder for the BH-209.

It's a competative market place.

Chocodg

I really don't mind paying the extra money for the convenience and piece of mind when using BH209.

Latest posts

Back