Got a conical mould!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Picked this one up used, last night. Hope my lyman handles fit :shock:

370gr Lyman Mould should do very well in most of the muzzle loaders, but ONLY for hunting. These things eat up lead like hogs hitting a corn feeder :lol!:
51562510.jpg

Old lead pipe. Idaholewis tested them and I think it was a little harder around 8 or 8.5 on the lead tester.

P
FrontierGander said:
Picked this one up used, last night. Hope my lyman handles fit :shock:

370gr Lyman Mould should do very well in most of the muzzle loaders, but ONLY for hunting. These things eat up lead like hogs hitting a corn feeder  :lol!:
Awesome deal on the mold! Them Maxi’s usually Shoot VERY well in 1:48 Twist rifles (What they were intended for) Your Lyman handles should work perfect if they are the Older Style like the TC’s? I haven’t tested fit with the newer Style Lyman Handles? I have 2 of the newer style Lyman handles and I REALLY like them, they are my absolute Favorites, But they won’t work with my Accurate molds which is a BUMMER since i have so many of his Molds. I also have a Pair of Saeco Handles for my 3 Buffalo Arms Molds, they are identical to the Lyman (No doubt made by the Same outfit) But these Saecos have a Different Bend and only work with their Molds. Go figure lol! 

I had to laugh at the last part of your post! These Big Bullets are REALLY ROUGH on a Lead Pot!! I like your way of wording it better :lol!:

FrontierGander said:
Old lead pipe. Idaholewis tested them and I think it was a little harder around 8 or 8.5 on the lead tester.
Your lead was 7-8 BHN iirc? I know i was impressed with it, that is ideal for holding the Bore good. This Certified 1-40 that i use is a little bit harder at 8.5 BHN, There isn’t much difference, But If i could buy already made stuff in the 7-8 BHN Range i would go that route :ttups: What i can buy Starts at Pure and jumps straight to 1-40, And I don’t know enough about trying to mix this stuff? That is a really good way to mess the entire Batch up, Not worth chancing it to me

dang it! My handles are a wee bit to small for the maxi ball mould. Will have to order the large handles for it. Not a huge thing. I found some on ebay but checking out prices on new handles first.

DARN IT!! These Lee 6 Cavity Handles are by far the best deal out there for Mold Handles, they work with just about every mold i have tried, Comfortable to use. Only complaint I have ever heard of is the Handles wanting to Slide off, This can easily be fixed by drilling them and adding a Roll pin, I have 2 pairs of these and have yet to have any problems with them, and I’ve used them a BUNCH. I have seen these as low as 12-13 bucks a pair

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/218/1/LEE-HANDLE

These Lyman’s are my absolute Favorites, But they are really expensive Handles. If you want a Cadillac Set of Handles and don’t mind paying the Price, these are Really Good! But the Cheap Lee 6 Cavities do the exact same Job for a LOT less money 

MCk95Pal.jpg

Idaholewis said:
DARN IT!! These Lee 6 Cavity Handles are by far the best deal out there for Mold Handles, they work with just about every mold i have tried, Comfortable to use. Only complaint I have ever heard of is the Handles wanting to Slide off, This can easily be fixed by drilling them and adding a Roll pin, I have 2 pairs of these and have yet to have any problems with them, and I’ve used them a BUNCH. I have seen these as low as 12-13 bucks a pair

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/218/1/LEE-HANDLE
Hell yes! I had no clue these would work. I have a set for the pistols bullets we reload for now and then. Just installed the maxiball mould onto them and they fit perfect! Thank you for suggesting this. I had zero clue they would fit the lyman mould.

Looks like I will be casting tomorrow!

Awesome deal! I have at least 2 pairs of those exact Lee handles and i really like them :ttups: 
I have read where Guy’s were complaining about the Handles pulling loose, but i have never had it happen with mine? It’s a Super easy fix if they ever do, Can’t beat the Lee’s for the Price!

Tell me these aren’t made by the Same outfit lol!
Lyman on the Left, Saeco on the Right. These are AWESOME handles, But as i stated above they are really Spendy! I paid like 50 Bucks for the Saeco’s, As you can see the Jaws are different and won’t interchange, I have 3 High end Saeco Molds From Buffalo Arms and had no choice but to Shell out the bucks for their handles to fit my Saeco Mold Blocks :x 
 I got a REALLY good deal on these Lymans, I bought 2 pairs of them Brand new at an estate Sale for 20 bucks a pair, they were stil in the package
gnEi2O7l.jpg

See how much different the Jaws are? A way of getting ya for more money :x
2DbUydpl.jpg

Well hell! Ended up a bit short on lube so now I will have to finished it off once my lube supplies come in.

378.7 grains in the nude.
img_0213.jpg

img_0214.jpg

img_0212.jpg

Yea them suckers are Lube Hogs as Well!! Something you might try, I have heard a LOT of Guy’s Swear by just Filling the Rear Groove with lube, Leave the Front empty. I can’t begin to remember how times i have read that? I don’t shoot enough of them to know how it works? I will say that it makes Good sense, 1 Groove in a Maxi Ball is Carrying more lube, WAY more Lube than my 540 Grain Elliptical at 1.450” Long. The Maxi is WAY Over Lubed. It would Be REALLY interesting to me to see you sit down and shoot a Group Both Ways, 1 Groove filled, then Both Filled, See if you can actually Tell a Difference?

I have always filled both grooves but would be curious to see if only one works just as well. See if I've been wasting lube for years. Sometimes my recovered bullets still have some lube in them, especially in cooler temps when the lube is stiffer.

I cut some out and plan on trying them at 50 yrds tomorrow in the 1:48 hawken with 80gr pryodex p. No wad will be used during this test. If accuracy isn't good, then I'll try a felt wad under the maxi.

I already loaded the hawken and the maxi felt great going down.

FrontierGander said:
I cut some out and plan on trying them at 50 yrds tomorrow in the 1:48 hawken with 80gr pryodex p. No wad will be used during this test. If accuracy isn't good, then I'll try a felt wad under the maxi.

I already loaded the hawken and the maxi felt great going down.
Sounds good! Looking forward to your range report!!

just 50 yards today. First shot by it self is on a fully clean bore, next 2 are on a fouled bore. 80gr Pyrodex P with those maxiballs. My cheek feels it more than my arm. The 1:48 twist handles them very well! Next I am going back out and test with a wad on top of the powder. Excuse the crappy target, I stapled it to a sand bucket so I could get my lead back.
img_0313.jpg

took a couple more shots but adjusted my point of aim to center things up.
img_0314.jpg

again but this time with a wad in place. The wad actually seems to have centered the shots better, but opened up the group. Next time I will bump it up to 90gr Pyrodex P and really feel it lol.
51351510.jpg

50966610.jpg

My t/c hawken 1:48 likes those a lot better than the REAL 320 bullet. Don't remember trying either one with a wad. It likes 85-90 grns of pyrodex rs not sure about other powders.

Latest posts

Back