Optima is in!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frontier gander

Reaction score
My new optima arrived today while i was out shooting the Accura. The rifle is light and shoulders nicely. Going out now to take some pics of it!

heck no the Accura isnt retiring! In fact i shot 150 yards with it today off of my shooting sticks and that sucker put the last 2 shots touching!

The Optima is one hell of a shooter! After zeroing in the scope at 30 yards with 3 shots, i got 3 more loads, took one shot and hit perfect in the center of the bull. Backed out to 50 yards and put the final 2 shots into the same holes.

This rifle loves 100gr BH209 - CCI 209M and a 270gr Powerbelt Platinum. The trigger pull on it has Z-E-R-O Grit or creep! I'd say roughly a 3lb trigger pull that breaks like thin glass. The break action is a little stiff right now ( new gun of course) but it locks up tight and solid.

We're supposed to get 12 to 24" of snow tonight ( doesnt that figure)
Stock fits me like a glove and is comfortable with open sights. Huge eye relief with the Durasight Dead-On Mount set up.

I robbed that Bushnell scope off my dads rem710 '06 as he said he wants a new scope for his rifle.

Rifle is built strong inside of the frame too, I'll take pics of that later on.

The ramrod will no longer get scratched up like the old style used too, they put some fillers inside of the ramrod thimbles to keep it quiet, rattle free and scratch free.

Recoil pad also is great as well, it sucked up the recoil pretty darned good and im not sore. Doesnt even felt like i shot today.

Also the hammer spur is either a righty or a lefty. Mine unscrews easily.

For the price of this rifle with the SS barrel, its going to be damn hard to beat. In all honestly, im really starting to like this rifle better than the Accura over all. We'll find out at 100 yards how it does.

Oops almost forgot, i can hear it already. How'd the breech plug unscrew after shooting?

Like a hot knife going through cold butter. It amazed the hell out of me!
105_9115.jpg

105_9117.jpg

105_9118.jpg

105_9119.jpg

105_9120.jpg

105_9121.jpg

105_9122.jpg

105_9123.jpg

105_9124.jpg

105_9125.jpg

105_9126.jpg

105_9128.jpg

105_9129.jpg

SL to be honest with you, i actually feel that it IS a better rifle that the Accura. I love my accura but this rifle just feels so solid in my hands.

That is nice.

I think im going to check into that mount and see if CVA will sell the ramrod guides with the inserts.

The lines of the new Optima are really nice!!

GM54-120

Just my preferences but that scope mount is way to high off the barrel... I do not think you would get much of a cheek on the comb of the stock... and still align on the scope...

its just right for my eye. Normally im pressing my cheek bone into the stock and that sucks with recoil. This is just right. Check out all the eye relief though! Even our centerfires dont offer that much.
105_9135.jpg

sabotloader said:
GM54-120

Just my preferences but that scope mount is way to high off the barrel... I do not think you would get much of a cheek on the comb of the stock... and still align on the scope...

My Accura thumbhole stock cheek rest (comb) is high IMO and im using med high rings now. Those actually look a little lower or the same. On the Optima it looks kinda high though looking at the stock.

Accura3.jpg

Im using lower steel QR ones on both new Knights though. I think they are mediums. The combs feels lower than the Accura thumbhole.

I prefer as low as possible too with the cheek well planted.

I like the look of the new Optima. Do they offer it in .45?

That's a good looking rifle FG
CVA has really stepped it up with their line up for 2010
I love my Accura and Optima and Kodiak they shoot great and are a great value.I loved my Encore but the barrels and Acc are so expensive.
That new Optima is a sweet looking rifle.
From what I understand the barrel is made at the bergarra factory and IS stainless steel not a nickle finish,am I right on that?

Flhtr said:
I like the look of the new Optima. Do they offer it in .45?

The only 45 inline CVA offers that i know of (now) is like mine with all the bells and whistles. Plus all the $$$$s that go with it.

They really need to offer more options IMO.

thats right scott, 416 SS and they are made at the bergara factory. But just to be clear, they dont mark them bergara because to keep the price down, they skip the multi-honing/polishing process. The barrels still look good, you just dont have the mirror finish inside the bore.

2" 4 shot group at 100 yards today in Blizzard condtions! I used 100gr bh209, 295gr powerbelt. I wanted to shoot more but the snow started coming down a lot harder and it made the scope look fogged up, thats how hard its coming down now. Not bad though considering the conditions today. I had to hike through snow that was up to my knees on the shooting range. The Optima primer area i noticed stayed dry, i didnt see any wetness on it until i broke it open to prime it again.

8)

I love my ACCURA but I have to so say, that OPTIMA is fine looking rifle :!: :!:
Best of luck with your new toy FG :!: :!:

FG. That's a nice looking muzzleloader! Your making it tuff on me. I'm thinking about buying a new muzzy and was thinking about the Encore so I could get different barrels but a new CVA Apex is working its way to the front and center.

Latest posts

Back