Good Ammo For ELK Hunting

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the best ammo for Elk hunting? Are the 7mm 155- to 175-grainers, and the . 30-caliber 180- to 200-grainers.
You don't need an elephant gun to take down an elk. With CF rifles, we've used .270 and 30-06. I've personally used a 30-06 with 165gr bt. Dropped where it was shot.

If you are referring to the 7mm Mag I would go with a 150-160 grain soft point. Keep the shots tight behind the front leg, and it will go down. I have taken elk with my 30-06 with 150grn CoreLokt Remington bullets and 165 grn Ballistic Tips. On my 270 and my neighbors 270 I load the 140 grn Core Lokt and we both took elk with them. He wanted to use the .270 because it was his late brothers rifle. He hit right behind the left front leg and the bullet stopped in the opposite shoulder under the skin, dropped him right there. All or our elk have been killed within 150 yards, mostly a lot less. The mail thing on elk is shot placement and they can absorb a lot of lead sometimes so if you shoot and it doesn't drop, make sure you are ready for a follow up shot or two or until your weapon is empty.
Mike

While I can’t comment on elk cartridges, I have shot three moose here in New England. One was shot with a .270 and 150gr Partition bullet, two others were taken with a plane Jane RUGER 77 in 30-06 with Partition 180 grain bullets. All one and done, and if I’m not mistaken, moose are as large or larger than elk.

While I can’t comment on elk cartridges, I have shot three moose here in New England. One was shot with a .270 and 150gr Partition bullet, two others were taken with a plane Jane RUGER 77 in 30-06 with Partition 180 grain bullets. All one and done, and if I’m not mistaken, moose are as large or larger than elk.
You are correct Bob. I believe a bull elk can go up to around 7-800 lls. A bull moose up to around 12-1500 lbs.

Back