Going to do some calling

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exMember

Reaction score
Got back from 3 days in NM with my brother in law and a couple friends. My bro in law got a really nice fox and his friend took a big bobcat. My friends and I struck out, just to windy out where we were hunting.

I got a tree stand set up year round that I never use, so I am going to put it to use in a couple hours!  I borrowed a friends game call so I will give that a try and see if I can call in a coyote out back. I know they are running my area out back, so it would be nice to rid the property of them.

Well, I got one but it wasn't a yote!

I was up in my ladder stand, hit the call a couple times with the rabbit in distress, then went to a cat in distress, took a few minutes of rest, then hit the rabbit call again. I saw a flash of bluish fur go by and hurried up and reached down and hit the call button again ( it was on the low sound setting ) and that sucker turned right around and into a very small opening! I put it right behind the shoulder, set the trigger on my Hawken and sent a .490" round ball driven by 90 grains Black MZ right into him. I had ear plugs in due to the call and my already ringing ears I've developed recently, but I heard him let out a screech and wheel around a couple times before racing off.

I got down, reloaded and went to the place where he was standing and found a puff of hair and some bright red blood. Did a big circle, searching through all the thick oak brush and half way around, I found him on the edge of the opening!
img_0210.jpg

img_0211.jpg

Made a couple hide stretching boards, then fleshed a lot of the fat and meat off the skin before soaking it in salt water to wash the blood out of the hide and fur. Im not going to an it, just stretch it, salt it and let it harden for a wall decoration.

Back