Is this a good test?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spitpatch

Reaction score
I just can in from the range and can't stick around to chat because of an appointment I must keep, but thought I'd leave this observation and question on the board.

I caught 250 xtps after they passed though my railroad tie backstop. When I dug them from under about 1" of dirt, I noticed that most had mushroomed well retaining most of their copper jacket, even though railroad ties. I thought, this bullet really holds together nice and would do the same going through flesh and bone. Is this a fair test???? Or am I missing something?
Just food for thought......spit :)

Spitpatch said:
I just can in from the range and can't stick around to chat because of an appointment I must keep, but thought I'd leave this observation and question on the board.

I caught 250 xtps after they passed though my railroad tie backstop. When I dug them from under about 1" of dirt, I noticed that most had mushroomed well retaining most of their copper jacket, even though railroad ties. I thought, this bullet really holds together nice and would do the same going through flesh and bone. Is this a fair test???? Or am I missing something?
Just food for thought......spit :)

Hard to argue going thru a railroad tie! :D Sounds like a tuff bullet to me of course unless the RR Tie is rotted-up or somthin. Whut distance, gun & load?

A railroad tie is hardly a good test for how the bullet will perform on live flesh. Many times it is hard to tell exactly how a bullet will perform on game until used on that animal with your gun and load. Plus there are tons of factors that can make the identical bullet perform differently on the same animal such as amount of powder and the velocity that the bullet reaches when it hits its target. But at least you have a nice freezer full of cross-ties!

Spitpatch said:
I caught 250 xtps after they passed though my railroad tie backstop.

Hornady XTP's have cleanly taken OVER 1500 head of deer in the area of Henry Ball's hunting camp over the years via smokeless muzzleloaders.

XTP's have passed the real test. :shock:

Back