from what I understand there are some states that have:

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john keyes

Reaction score
NO centerfire rifle season whatsoever, right? only bowhunting/crossbow, shotgun and ML?

I'm in Texas and just trying to get hip to the situation.
I fully understand that we all love our MLs but its dawning on me that some people may not have a choice ie there may not be any centerfire rifle season for them at all.

As for me, I have a good expansive long range clear cut stand on my lease (flat shooting rifle) and another thickly vegetated up close and personal stand that will rule for my ML. I will use my ML in that stand during the rifle season.

John , not sure but I think ILL is one of those,and VA is county by county

The area below the blue line in Michigan is shotgun/muzzleloader/handgun for the deer seasons. I live 3-1/2 miles south of the line. The reason I try to maximize my muzzleloading.

Hunting and Trapping and Rifle/Shotgun Zones

Michigan is divided into Hunting and Trapping Zones 1-2-3. Zone 1 includes all of the Upper Peninsula. The dividing line between Zones 2 and 3 is: From the Lake Michigan shoreline north of Muskegon Lake easterly on Memorial Drive to Ruddiman Drive to Lake Avenue, easterly on Lake Avenue to M-120 in North Muskegon, northeasterly on M-120 to M-20, easterly on M-20 to US-10, easterly on US-10 to Garfield Road in Bay County, northerly on Garfield Road to Pinconning Road, easterly on Pinconning Road to Seven Mile Road, northerly on Seven Mile Road to Lincoln School Road (County Road 25) in Arenac County, northerly on Lincoln School Road to M-61, easterly on M-61 to US-23, easterly on US-23 to center line of AuGres River, southerly along center line of AuGres River to Saginaw Bay, easterly 90 degrees east for 7 miles into Saginaw Bay, then northerly 78 degrees east to the International Boundary.

hunt_zones_20886_7.jpg

Exception: The waterfowl hunting zone lines differ from those above. Refer to the 2009-2010 Waterfowl Hunting Guide for waterfowl zone descriptions. Michigan also is divided into a northern rifle zone where rifles may used for firearm deer hunting and a southern shotgun zone where only shotguns, muzzleloading firearms and certain handguns may be used for deer hunting (see Shotgun Zone Rules). The dividing line between the northern rifle deer hunting zone is as follows: Starting at a point on the Lake Michigan shoreline directly west of M-46, then easterly to M-46, then easterly along M-46 to US-131 at Cedar Springs, southerly on US-131 to M-57, easterly on M-57 to Montcalm Road on the Kent-Montcalm county line, southerly on Montcalm Road and the Kent-Ionia county line to M-44, easterly on M-44 to M-66, northerly on M-66 to M-57, easterly on M-57 to M-52 near Chesaning, northerly on M-52 to M-46, easterly on M-46 to M-47, northerly on M-47 to US-10 west of Bay City, easterly on US-10 to I-75, northerly on I-75 and US-23 to Beaver Road (about 1 mile north of Kawkawlin), easterly to Saginaw Bay, north 50 degrees east to the International Boundary.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

arms

Ohio for deer ML, shotguin, pistol bow. Xbow, but you can also use a semiauto pistol for deer hunting. What isfunny is for predators, ground hogs we can use a CF rifle?

:D
Firearm season here in IL. is with shotgun slugs, pistol and muzzleloader :!:

HAVE A GREAT SEASON EVERYONE :!: :!: :!:

In Delaware we only use bow, ML, and shotgun. The reasoning behind it is we are a "flat land" state,

No rifles in Indiana, except those chambered for pistol cartridges like the .44 Mag or .45 Long Colt.

It's archery first, then firearms, then muzzle loader, then archery. Lucky for me, you can always use a more "primitive" weapon during a more modern season, so I'll be able to use the muzzle Genesis for all of firearms season.

Indiana is one of those states. I lived in Texas, and northern lower Michigan before moving here. I was shocked to see that there are no center fire rifles allowed state wide. kickers are you can shoot rifle calibers in hand guns. I.E. 300 win mag out of an encore etc. pistols shotguns with slugs legal only and this year, rifles in some pistol calibers. i believe it is .357 mag up to 500 S&W and 500 AE. makes no sense to me, but i am not a native.

I have been a long time CF rifle hunter. In the past few years I've hunted more in areas where you can't use the CF rifle. I like the M-L over a shotgun slug setup or a handgun. One well placed shot & it's a done deal.

Like they said, Ohio is shotgun, ML, bow, Pistol only.

I have an 11-87 that prints 1 1/2" groups with Lightfield slugs and my 870 probably isnt far behind but leave it open sighted for thick cover hunting.

Thought about using my ML for gun season but gun season sees alot of running deer due to pressure.

Ill save my ML for the dedicated ML season.

from new jersey, we can use ml, bow and shotguns. no rifle just too many people and not enough land to go around.

Here in Iowa the only time we can use a rifle is during the late season antlerless season and then only in the southern 2 tiers of countys. The rest of the time it is bow, shotgun and muzzleloader. It is possible to hunt deer from Oct. 1 till Jan 31, even longer for youth or disabled hunters, their season starts Sept 19- Oct 4. I feel sorry for the guys who have to squeeze in their entire deer hunting season fix into 7- 10 days.

Latest posts

Back